Can 2 females be kept together???

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You'll get mixed advice on this. Bettas do best in a 5g, heated and filtered, by themselves. However, a few members do keep sororities. These *might* work if the females are sisters that have been raised together. If you do this, I suggest having a backup plan ready just in case things go bad. Well, really I suggest not even trying it, but if you do, have some extra filter media available to rehome one.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, i think 2 would be bad, because one would pick on the other, but say 3 or more in a filtered heated decorated 10g or so would be worth a shot, but only with an available backup plan.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
haha, i've always wanted a sororitie, maybe when i grow up and have my own space with actual MONEY!! lol

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have heard mixed thoughts on this. +1 with meenu through you can but it might go bad

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm I think I'll attempt it but I'll watch them like a hawk and I already have a back up plan just in case. I hope it goes well...

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd do it on a saturday, like tomorrow!
but it probably won't end well because one's going to dominate the other.
Just introduce at the smae time and make sure the nipping doesn't cause actual hurt.
Maybe put some stress coat in the water just in case though.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it just the two of them? I would suggest lots of decor/plants. And either have an extra tank on hand, or some money saved for one. Also keep extra media in your current tank or filter - that way you can transfer the media into a new filter for an instant cycle to a new tank if you need to. Maybe you can just keep an extra sponge in the tank.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is it just the two of them? I would suggest lots of decor/plants. And either have an extra tank on hand, or some money saved for one. Also keep extra media in your current tank or filter - that way you can transfer the media into a new filter for an instant cycle to a new tank if you need to. Maybe you can just keep an extra sponge in the tank.
Yeah, definetly have the backup plan like set up for sure and have a net/pet store cup on hand incase someone gets too violent.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just got one of my male bettas a new tank so his old tank is cycled so I guess I'll use that as my back up tank. I've got the decor covered! I tend to go overboard when shopping for decorations for betta tanks lol and I have tons of artificial plants under my sink and I have some small java fern that I could plant too

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
your signature says that, lol.

Lots of caves and plants will do good.
And be sure to feed the old tank, or it'll lose it's cycle.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If his old tank is empty, the bacteria needs to be fed or it will die off. How long has it been empty?

shiba

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oh then that's good, i would feed that tank still though to keep the bacteria alive.
A few drops of ammonia, but only ammonia and water mix a day will keep it cycled, and a tank can go for about two before losing it's cycle.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't give you any advice but I did go in one pet store that had a tank with lots of female bettas, all together. Id never seen that before, just thought Id share. Hope everything works out for you!!

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys! I'll make sure to feed my empty tank and I'll keep you updated on what happens with the two females

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's up with the ninja Meenu?

Oh and be sure to keep watermelon in her own container until you get the new one, or she'll territorialize the whole tank then your new fish'll be doomed.
How big of a tank is it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom