Can 2 BN plecos live in one tank? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AquaticBrandon, Jul 24, 2015.

1. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have a 60 gallon tank with 1 Small BN pleco. He's about 3.5 inches right now. There's somebody selling a full grown BN on Craigslist and I'm interested in buying it, but I wanted to know if I can have 2 BN plecos in the same tank? My tank is medium planted with rocks and 3 pieces of driftwood. My stock is albino Cory cats, neon tetras, red eye tetras and a small school of serpae tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

They can, but its very risky since they are territorial and aggressive with their own species. I would equate it to putting a betta into a 20 gallon community tank. So proceed at your own risk!

3. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Hmm I see, even if they are female and male? I've read that 2 BN plecos can be fine as long as there are enough hiding spots

4. Dom90

That's always the case isnt it? lol... There was someone who recently wanted to keep 2 BN plecos in a 75g on the forums recently and I think a lot of people advised against it. Let me see if I can find it.

5. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Keep 2 bn in a 55 didnt have any issues both females.

6. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Its generally if you have 2 males that they get aggressive and territorial with each other. Already having one plus a school of cories, I wouldnt risk it as thats alot of used footprint already with your current bottom dwellers. If its a female you *could* be ok, but its still hard to say.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Keeping 2 Plecos of any kind in an aquarium can be hit or miss. I've been fortunate keeping a Bristle Nose and Sail Fin Pleco in my 265g aquarium. Then again, they have so much space in this tank.

Feeding...the Sail Fin Pleco will munch on the top of a zucchini slice while the Bristle Nose munches on the side eating the green skin. Great to watch.

The Sail Fin is 12" long and my Bristle Nose (female) is about 3.5 to 4" long.

Have a back up plan just in case of aggression issues.

Ken

8. escapay

escapay Well Known Member Member

If the other one is a full-grown male, I would not risk it. If it is a female, then could possibly work out. I had my 4 inch male and then got a 5 inch female from another person at the fish club. They are getting along fine in my 36 gallon bowfront. I am hoping for them to breed though we'll see whether that happens.

ETA: I agree about having another tank in case they don't get along. I do have another aquarium if I needed them to be separated.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

2 males = problems
    1 male + 1 female : thousands of fry
    2 females = okay.
    Having three tanks with only females !!!

10. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Okay thanks guys. The BN Pleco that I have is a 3.5 inch female I believe. The pleco that I want is a orange full grown BN pleco, they are selling him locally.

11. Dom90

Have you confirmed that it's a male?

12. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Yeah, it has a lot of bristles. Females only have the little "mustache" or sometimes no bristles I believe. But I'm gonna let you guys confirm that as I have a picture of him . Here he is, it's the orange one

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437836470.091694.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437836484.758611.jpg

13. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I have 5 plecos in my 55, no problems.
    its only the second male that brings issues.
    They can be okay, but they target each others eggs for food, that usually a breaking point. None of mone have ever inured eqch other though, just competitive.

14. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

He is a handsome BOY. I think it is worth a try if you don't mind them having babies. Alison

15. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

I don't mind them having babies :). I really like that pleco, he looks very nice. You think $15 is a good deal for him?

16. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Try to lower his price If you can looks really nice.

17. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Will do :). Thanks guys

18. Plecomaker

15 sounds pretty high to me, 10 max.

19. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

That's what I was thinking

20. Plecomaker

I wouldnt worry about over breeding either, like some people are saying. Thye bree much less often thencichlids or live bearers.
    and not that many eggs either, often my female only lays 10-20 eggs at a time. They can lay up to 200 supposedly, but ive never had it happen.
    HOWEVER, males are not very commited and will mate with up to 3 females in one nest! So multiple females may end up producing a load of eggs combined.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice