Help Can’t Figure Out Why Fish Are Rubbing Against Things

cmnicole

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fish have been rubbing their sides against things for a few days now. Parameters are normal but I did a water change anyway. No signs of ick or fungus. What else could I be missing?

(Only one roseline barb is showing a slightly more reflective green to his scales, otherwise, I don’t see anything)

55gal establish planted tank with eco complete. Lava rocks, driftwood, cholla wood, alder cones.
Temp 78F
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
3 roseline barb
3 molly
3 platy
2 hillsteam loach
1 pleco
5 bamboo shrimps
2 ghost shrimps
2 mystery snails
Cherry shrimps

Attachments

Last edited:

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No dusting on them. Only one roseline barb with a few scales reflecting slightly greener.
I added one more thing to my previous lost if you didn't see. If it's still not velvet then I'm sorry I can't be of more help because that was the only thing I can think of.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are they flashing with their belly or their side? My first thought is the ammonia. If it’s really 0.25 then it’s toxic at your pH.
Have you added any new fish?

cmnicole

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are they flashing with their belly or their side? My first thought is the ammonia. If it’s really 0.25 then it’s toxic at your pH.
Have you added any new fish?
No new additions. They are rubbing their sides. I have done a water change, I checked the perimeters last night and the ammonia is at 0.

Likely parasites of some sort
Is there something I should be doing?

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are they still flashing since ammonia dropped to 0? If not, my guess is that you had a mini cycle after cleaning out your filter and/or replacing media. Do you only have a Fluval 50 on this tank? It is adequate for your tank size if lightly stocked but it doesn’t give you much room for error.

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try testing your tap water I can't tell where you are but here we need rain sometimes the water comp. puts in stuff but it can make your tests wonky (yes, I see how that sounds)

cmnicole

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are they still flashing since ammonia dropped to 0? If not, my guess is that you had a mini cycle after cleaning out your filter and/or replacing media. Do you only have a Fluval 50 on this tank? It is adequate for your tank size if lightly stocked but it doesn’t give you much room for error.
I think you might be right about the mini cycle. They stopped flashing 3 days after when ammonia stayed at 0. I have the fluval 50 in that tank with 2 sponge filters in each corner, each sufficient for 10gal.

cmnicole

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try testing your tap water I can't tell where you are but here we need rain sometimes the water comp. puts in stuff but it can make your tests wonky (yes, I see how that sounds)
My water straight from tap has a ph of 7.8. I have eco complete in my tank that brings it up to 8.2-8.6 I use a combination of soaked alder cone extracts and ph down to bring it back down to 7.6

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you might be right about the mini cycle. They stopped flashing 3 days after when ammonia stayed at 0. I have the fluval 50 in that tank with 2 sponge filters in each corner, each sufficient for 10gal.
You might consider adding another 50 or upgrading to a 110.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom