Came Home To Puffer Acting Strange

Steven Burkhart

Came home from Christmas at the inlaws and Puffy is acting strange. Swimming very erratic against the glass and keeps hitting the current and bouncing around. Not his normal behavior at all. Usually I look at the tank and he slowly floats over and we have a staring contest until he heads up to the food hole and waits for worms. I feed him now and he didn't even both just keeps glass surfing on the one side and hitting the water current. only recent change was I vacuumed his tank and did a 50% water change. Also gave all the plants and rocks a rinse off. I will try and post a video if I can figure out how too.

Quick strip water test has the ph around 7 GH around 120 KH 40-80 nitrates nitrites low

Momgoose56

Do water changes to get your nitrates down to less than 20. You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates less than 20. Rinse plants and rocks ONLY in water that's pretreated for chlorine/chloramines. Only vacuum top layer of substrate. Never deeper. Your fish is probably stressed from high nitrate levels in the tank (water changes will fix that)

Kathryn Crook

Steven Burkhart said:
Came home from Christmas at the inlaws and Puffy is acting strange. Swimming very erratic against the glass and keeps hitting the current and bouncing around. Not his normal behavior at all. Usually I look at the tank and he slowly floats over and we have a staring contest until he heads up to the food hole and waits for worms. I feed him now and he didn't even both just keeps glass surfing on the one side and hitting the water current. only recent change was I vacuumed his tank and did a 50% water change. Also gave all the plants and rocks a rinse off. I will try and post a video if I can figure out how too.

Quick strip water test has the ph around 7 GH around 120 KH 40-80 nitrates nitrites low
Its possible you “overloved” him by doing a drastic cleaning and water change of 50%.

Top Bottom