Came Home To All Fish Dead In Both My Tanks...

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
10 Gallon with:
4 Neon Tetras
3 Zebra Danios

65 Gallon with:
7 Rummy Nose Tetras
8 Cardinal Tetras
5 Panda Cory
1 BN Pleco
2 Bolivian Ram

65 Gallon has been running for like 3 months and the water has been fine. 7.5 ish PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10-20 Nitrate.

10 Gallon has been running for 2 weeks, I started it using filter media from the 65 gallon and the water levels have been the same other than the Nitrates are lower, like 5ish.

I got home and noticed as soon as i saw the 65 gallon it was a little cloudy then when i got closer i could see all the dead fish and a lot of bubbles at the top of the tank as if there were soap in it. Went and checked the 10 gallon and it was literally overflowing with bubbles and all fish dead.

I added new fish to both tanks on Saturday. One in each tank died in like the first 24 hours, both looked a little deformed and to be honest I didnt check them that well when I first bought them and put them in. 2 more died in the 10 gallon yesterday. I tested the water and it was fine.

I did a water change on both of them on Sunday, yesterday everything seemed/looked fine. It almost smells like a lot of chlorine. I tried testing the water but I think the bubbles or whatever is in it is messing with the tests because the results are all over the place. I dosed both with Prime as i always do during water changes.

The 10 gallon i changed water with a normal gravel vac and 5 gallon bucket that I've used all this time to drain and fill the tanks.

The 65 gallon i changed water with the same gravel vac, but I filled it with the Python and from a different sink. Not sure what the heck happened here unless there was something going on with our tap water that day?

Sorry that was kind of all over the place.... I assume any good BB I had in the filters is gone now and I'll need to clean both these tanks and start all over?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm mystified. ring your council/ city water supplier or treatment plant and ask if they flushed the pipes or changed treatment. check their website too... they're usually meant to notify the public but if they only do it on their website or the paper people can miss it.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. I am so sorry! I don't know what it could have been but I think it would be advisable to sterilise both tanks and start over. I wouldn't risk transfering anything nasty.

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The PH looks off the charts if you I can trust the results right now, like the darkest color purple on the test kit. My daughter thinks it was the new fish, but we have bought all of the fish from this same store and never had problems. It is an actual aquarium store with fish only, not a big chain pet store so I trust them. Granted I'm new, but I can't imagine if one or more of the new fish was the problem it was cause the bubbles all over both tanks. I'm positive that I did not use any of the cleaning supplies/buckets on anything other than the 2 tanks or had any of it near soap.

I also have live plants in both tanks. Are they a lost cause now as well?

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mazeus said:
High PH and chlorine smell, could bleach have gotten in the tank?
Thats what I thought at first was it smelled like bleach but it is kept no where near either tank or the tank cleaning supplies. Also it was 2 different tanks in 2 different rooms. Unless one of my kids sabotaged the tanks, no way that happened. One of the tanks is my daughters and she is pretty upset right now.

Now that someone mentioned contacting the city/utilities, we did receive a call on Thursday last week that they were doing their annual flushing of the fire hydrants in our area. They said that we could notice some discoloration of the water and to just flush it out for a few minutes. Nothing about boiling it or anything else. I'm not sure what all that entails but possibly its related. That was 3 whole days before I would have done the water changes though.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
dcocinci said:
Now that someone mentioned contacting the city/utilities, we did receive a call on Thursday last week that they were doing their annual flushing of the fire hydrants in our area. They said that we could notice some discoloration of the water and to just flush it out for a few minutes. Nothing about boiling it or anything else. I'm not sure what all that entails but possibly its related. That was 3 whole days before I would have done the water changes though.
I suggest checking the relevant website for details because I suspect this may be the culprit...

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ugh so sorry. I have no idea what happened but if the B.B. is still warm & wet you could keep it going by feeding it pure. ammonia - unless whatever killed your tanks has affected it, until you are ready to restock. However, I assume soap would be very bad for the filter & not rinse well/at all. I hope someone else can help you.

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
I suggest checking the relevant website for details because I suspect this may be the culprit...
The strange part is 2 of the fish in the 10 gallon died yesterday, so I tested that water yesterday when I got home and it was fine. So if that water was "bad", I'd assume I should have caught this yesterday when I tested that water. I'm at a loss

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
dcocinci said:
The strange part is 2 of the fish in the 10 gallon died yesterday, so I tested that water yesterday when I got home and it was fine. So if that water was "bad", I'd assume I should have caught this yesterday when I tested that water. I'm at a loss
i tend to agree that if the water was the problem you should have seen or smelt issues during your water change. there is a possibility that the dead fish weren't healthy from your LFS and the water change issue is separate.

honestly, if the water flush from your local supplier isn't the issue, it is so bizarre that i actually suspect an accidental poisoning from the kids? bubbles and chlorine/bleach smell doesn't just happen. and it's not caused by any fish disease that may have come with your new fish. it must be either from the water change or someone added something to the tank directly. i can't think of any other possibility...

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I attached a picture of the 10 gallon when I got home. You can see the bubbles overflowing out of the back .my tank was doing the same thing but not nearly as bad.

I got fish from 4 different tanks at the pet store I believe and no fish from any one of those tanks went into both of mine. They told me that their tanks are all filtered separately so that would mean they had issues in multiple tanks at the store .

Attachments

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
dcocinci said:
I attached a picture of the 10 gallon when I got home. You can see the bubbles overflowing out of the back .my tank was doing the same thing but not nearly as bad.

I got fish from 4 different tanks at the pet store I believe and no fish from any one of those tanks went into both of mine. They told me that their tanks are all filtered separately so that would mean they had issues in multiple tanks at the store .
that almost looks like dishwashing liquid bubbles!!!

yeah, let's rule out the new fish i reckon. as i said, there's no way the fish brought you this nightmare unless i'm seriously missing something.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did u empty either tank yet? Does the water feel at all slippery or slimy between your fingers?

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just emptied the 10 gallon, it smells like a swimming pool. The water feels normal to me, its just the odor and the bubbles.

My tank I have everything running on still until I figure out what I'm going to do. I removed all the dead fish and what bubbles I could get rid of. There were not nearly as many in this tank.

My kids are 10 and 14 so I'd like to assume they would not have put soap or bleach in the tanks. One of the tanks belongs to my 10 year old who loves the fish so I can't see her doing anything to it. But I'm not sure how to explain whatever just happened. When I fed my fish last night they all seemed to be just fine. I did not check on them this morning. Probably close to $200 in fish and plants between the two of them and I'm hesitant to restart them if I don't know what happened. On the other hand I've put way to much money into them to not start them again.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know a very probable cause- I've seen this before... When I accidentally spilled bubble mix in a goldfish pond. Luckily the fish were saved within 15 minutes, very hardy big goldfish in a half wine barrel... It did those exact bubbles. Unless there was dishwashing liquid or something else still in the sink at the python, I'd say it was an accident. Even just bubbles popping into the water would be enough with an open hood, if a few got in...

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am so sorry to hear about all your fish dying. I'm going to agree with @Jenoli42 It does look like soap bubbles in the tank. Maybe someone was trying to be helpful and wanted to clean the filter with soap or the tank?

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
InsanityShard said:
I know a very probable cause- I've seen this before... When I accidentally spilled bubble mix in a goldfish pond. Luckily the fish were saved within 15 minutes, very hardy big goldfish in a half wine barrel... It did those exact bubbles. Unless there was dishwashing liquid or something else still in the sink at the python, I'd say it was an accident. Even just bubbles popping into the water would be enough with an open hood, if a few got in...
Thats the thing though, I filled them from 2 different sinks using 2 different methods. I used the Python on one and a bucket on the other. And I did them like 12 hours apart. And that was 48 hours ago.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did either of your siphons get used by someone else for anything? And then they cleaned them to help you? Did your kids have any friends over?

@TexasDomer, @jdhef, @Lucy any of you (or others) have ideas?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom