Camallanus Worms

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks like I'm joining this club...my little gold angelfish, Floyd, has visible worms. I noticed them a couple of weeks ago but they were really short and looked like a little fin so I had no idea what it could be. I finally decided I should research it since it never went away and discovered that it is camallanus worms.

I also have 3 guppies and 1 of them, Rainbow, has a slightly swollen belly. I never really thought anything of the belly because he has always eaten and passed stools regularly. Now that I see some of these posts I feel that he is probably infected as well. All of my fish are acting perfectly normal but I know that I need to get rid of these worms before they get worse. I bought "General Cure" from my pet store. It contains 250mg Metronidazole and 75mg Praziquantel per packet, one full dose is two packets with 48 hours between each. I also bought Jungle Labs medicated food which contains Metronidazole, Praziquantel and Levamisole.

I began treatment on Sunday. Since the two products can be used together, I did a 25% water change, removed my carbon filter, and added one packet of the General Cure. Once the powder dissolved, I crushed up some of the food and fed it to my fish. At first, they were all going for it but would spit out every piece they put in their mouth. After a minute or so, the guppies started eating it. Floyd never touched a bite, picky little guy

Yesterday, Monday, I fed them twice. Both times, the guppies ate it with no problem. Floyd was still spitting out every piece. Today, I fed them when I came home for lunch and it was the same thing. However, tonight there was a breakthrough with Floyd and I FINALLY saw him eat two tiny little pieces. I think I'm going to feed them this food exclusively for the next 4 weeks, not just for 3 days each week. Floyd is a really picky eater (the guppies are NOT, haha) and I don't think he will eat the medicated food if I give him anything else during the month. I usually alternate what I feed my fish between flakes, pellets and frozen brine shrimp. Floyd LOVES pellets, seems to also enjoy the shrimp but doesn't really care about the flakes. He usually ignores them and doesn't eat that day. Oh well, he's not getting a choice this month

Anyway, tonight I have to do another dose of the powder. Then on Thursday I need to do another water change and put the carbon filter back in. I'm just going to keep feeding them as much medicated food as they will eat for the next 28 days and hopefully the dirty little buggers will die. If this doesn't work, I guess I will have to try another treatment. Poor little guys...I feel so bad for them.

kcarmartinez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mcurtissdsu, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those meds will probably be ineffective against the camallanus. I would say since you are in the US go with the Levamisole HCL. It cost me 10 dollars and they were gone in 3 days (there is a link in my thread about camallanus). I have not had them since, though I did loose my guppy recently. I think her insides were too far gone (either that or a bad birth). I feared I was too late for her, she never did poop quite right after the episode. But everyone else is fine. The Jungle Foods really did nothing for me.
I have also heard the fenbendazole was also good, and a food form would be great if they are eating. Click, did you have any luck with it?

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, kcarmartinez. I will keep that link bookmarked. Since I already spent the money on these treatments, and I am low on cash these days, I will try these first. If I don't have any luck, I will definitely order that product next. I checked out the link, hopefully he will still have some in stock in a couple weeks if I need it. Thanks again for the advice.

By the way, I put a picture of Floyd in my signature...maybe it will work this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi mcurtissdsu welcome to FishLore
I'm really sorry about your fish
I hope you don't mind, I moved your post and it's replies out of Click's thread.
It'll be less confusing and get more attention this way.

Best of luck with the treatment.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, Lucy I updated my picture of Floyd. I think you can see the worms in this one...you can probably get a better close up from my album.

Melissawater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feel your pain mc, we also have an outbreak of c. worms in our 30 gal and would not have noticed it if it had not been for one of our baby guppies. Almost all of our fish are showing symptoms so we tried the medicated fish food and they all spit it out including my molly! So we are going to try fenbendazole, brand name pancur which is a dog wormer and are hoping to have the luck of other people who have tried it. Unfortunately we have to half dose because we have an angel and it can be deadly to them in big doses. Let us know how your med works, who knows I may have to switch if mine doesn't.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, my angel still isn't eating the food. The guppies eat it for the most part. None of them have worms hanging out so I'm not sure if they are all infected. However, my angel started showing the worms about 2 weeks ago so I am treating the whole tank just to be sure. I may have to try another treatment soon. I'm going to look more into the med (levamisole, I think?) in the link that kcmartinez posted. I will also research the fenbendazole. I don't know if levamisole is toxic to angels though. Does anybody know? I don't want to kill my poor fish by mistake The guppies seem like they can handle almost anything.

kcarmartinez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Charles Harrison(?) from the link in my thread was very helpful. I am sure if you emailed him he would be able to tell you. Sorry, I can't remember for sure right now if that is his name, but I know his first name is Charles and he was very quick to respond.
My one guppy did not show visible worms but I could see that her anus was enlarged. When I got them both my female guppies had enlarged anuses and it was 2 months later before I saw the worms. It did go down after taking the medicine. Even the snails survived... and they are very tiny. I heard a horror story from a friend who use to be a manager at the Walmart fish department. They had to destroy 5 tanks worth of fish because of an infestation. It is comforting to know that there are meds out there now to make that unnecessary.

Melissawater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do believe that is his name. I tried filling out the box on his website to get the levamisole and haven't heard anything from him yet. I was hoping to have that sent just in case what I have doesn't work. A few of my fish don't have the worms sticking out either, but like the danio has a swollen stomach/body and some of the others are flashing so I am pretty sure they have it. These parasites are awful and I hope they can get a medicine that is more convienantly carried at big chain stores soon.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I checked out that website for the levamisole again last night but it looks like he just updated the page and I didn't see that product in his list of items for sale...I suppose I can just email him and ask him if he still has any stock. After all the research I've been doing, I'm definitely starting to believe that the medicated food will not work. My boyfriend is skeptical of other treatments though since I told him I read a lot of stories about people who used stronger meds and they ended up killing the fish. We're very attached to our little angel and we don't want to lose him...I just don't know what to do.

Melissawater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would try to email him, I just bought 3-5 gram packages yesterday and he had it listed on his site. I'm trying the fenbendazole and Charles informed me that it only really works through the food that is soaked in the med not through the med in the water unfortunately. Hopefully all will go well with the new one!

kcarmartinez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did find the site kind of hard to navigate. I would also say just email him. Each 5 gram pack treats 100 gallons... and I only needed one 10 gallon dose. (there are instructions to how to divvy it up.) I would also ask him if you should dose less for an Angelfish. Mine were guppies.

Melissawater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I listed that I had an Angel and he never said anything, but it doesn't mean he didn't miss it. I will have to email and ask him about that.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Poor Floyd isn't doing very well. I've been feeding them the medicated food for a week now and he hasn't eaten more than 3 bites. I tried crushing it up with the pellets he likes and that didn't work. I also tried crushing it with some freshly minced garlic and he didn't even pay it any attention.

I bought a little tank last night to set up as a sick tank for him. I put in some aquarium salt because the guy at the pet store told me that it works as a laxative. I also put in a packet of the General Cure. As soon as I put him in the sick tank, he started freaking out. He was swimming around all weird and after a few seconds would just lay on one side. I took him out after about 2 minutes because he looked like he was going to die right there in the tank. I don't know if I put in too much aquarium salt or if the packet contents were too concentrated for a one gallon tank.

I put him back in the 10 gallon with the guppies and he looked a little better instantly but still not good. His fins are all clamped up, I put some General Cure in the 10 gallon after I put him back in there and I could see the little particles from the packet getting stuck in the excess slime all around him. He just stayed in one corner of the tank. There are even more worms sticking out of his vent now and his belly is completely swollen, much more so on one side than the other. Also, my boyfriend just sent me a text message at work saying that Floyd's tail is looking a little torn. Perhaps I should add some of my fin rot medicine? I don't know what to do...

I'm going to email the guy about the levamisole right now. In the mean time, I will keep treating the water with the General Cure and feeding the medicated food 3 days a week. Poor Floyd I feel so bad for the little guy. I just wish I could make him feel comfortable again.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sick Angelfish

So I have a 10 gallon tank. The nitrite and nitrate levels are both 0, I checked the ammonia today and it was 1ppg. I removed my carbon filter last night because I added some General Cure to the water. Temp is around 84 degrees. pH is around a 6.8 - 7.0.

I'll be perfectly honest, I have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't had a tank since I was a kid and I'm now realizing that I clearly didn't do enough research before getting my fish. I have 3 guppies and one angelfish in the tank. I started out with 4 guppies, 2 angelfish and 1 plecostamus. I asked the girl at the pet store if a 10 gallon tank would be big enough for all those fish and she assured me it would. I've since learned that the people at PetSmart are clearly not animal experts by any stretch of the imagination and she obviously had no idea what she was talking about.

Exactly one day before I had the tank for a month, 1 angelfish, 1 guppy and the plecostamus all died within minutes of each other. I realized that I had obviously overstocked the tank and just left the 4 fish that were remaining in there. All was well for a couple of weeks until about a week ago when I noticed that my angelfish has camallanus worms.

After reading many posts on several threads, it has come to my attention that an angelfish should never be in a 10 gallon tank and that they require at least 30 gallons. I feel so bad because I had no idea and now my little angel is just suffering. He is badly infected with the worms and when I checked on him this morning, his tail fin looked like it was starting to rot overnight. I keep feeding him the medicated food and trying to treat the water with General Cure and do frequent water changes but nothing seems to be helping and he looks worse everyday. I don't know if I should give him up because he's so sick...he would infect another tank. I don't think I can take him back to the store because I've already had him so long...does anybody know if a pet store will just take a sick fish in and keep him? I don't know what to do for him

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry your angel is sick.
I'm not that familialr with camallanus worms. Were you able to get the meds that are suggested in your other thread?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks endlessecho, that link and some recommendations were provided in mcurtissdsu's other post about the Angel.

I'll merge the threads.....it's best to stick with one thread so other members can see whats alreasdy been suggested.

click

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh no, not these worms...they are a nightmaire. I lost 4 guppies because of them. I failed to make them better even though I fed them food that contained Levamisole and Fenbendazole. The most effective treatment that I heard of is treating the whole tank with either Levamisole or Fenbendazole powder. Since neither sell in Canada, my guppies died and I could not save them.

Don't beat yourself too hard, the fish probably had the worms from the source (store). It can take 6-12 weeks for them to be visible on the outside. One of the first symptoms is fish scratching their belly on decor or leaves. I didn't know what that meant until it was too late.

If you get the Levamisole treat the whole tank, then treat again in 3 weeks, to kill any potential new lavea. Levamilose kills worms and larvae, but not the eggs.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom