Camallanus Worms...

1. kcarmartinez Member Member

I am not sure this is the right section for this thread but I wanted to share my experience with Camallanus (redworms).
    My son has a 10 gallon Guppy tank. We got 5 Guppies. One female was really fat and had a bent spine. She died shortly after. One male was really small and stopped eating, he also died within a month.
    The "twins" both had large anuses when we got them TWO and a half MONTHS ago, I thought it was weird but didn't know what it was. :;dete
    Two weeks ago, after my younger son fed the tank a half a can of goldfish food, I spent a lot of time with these guppies. I noticed one of the twins had a redworm sticking out her backside. I fed Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Food because I had it on hand. A few days later I noticed the twin without the visible camallanus worm had a smaller hole. But I was still seeing a worm in the other. And now our male has started with fin rot. I went online to http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ and ordered myself some Levamisole HCl.
    I want to rave about this Charles Harrison. He was Very helpful and send out the meds even before he got my check. It was easy to dose and now three days later I see no worms. It was kind of discusting watching them come out, but made me feel so much better.
    So far it is looking good. My male still has his fin rot problem but the females are active and happy and the 4 fry are also looking well. I will post again if it comes back but I am optimistic from what I have read that Levamisole will do the trick.
    :;banaman
    Oh.... and the snails are all fine. lol

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm glad to hear your guppies (and snails lol) are doing fine.
    Thank you for providing this information, I'm sure other members facing this nasty worm will be appreciative!

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Jeeze, those poor fishies. I'm so glad you noticed those worms and got some great help! Thanks for sharing your story with us. I've never experienced these worms, but they sounds just awful. :(

4. switty22 Initiate Member

Did you continue to feed them the anti-parasite food after you treated your tank with the Levamisole? Just wondering because I just ordered some of the Levamisole from the link you gave. My fish won't eat the Jungle anti-parasite food and I was looking into getting medicated fish flakes. I won't get the flakes if the Levamisole was enough to get rid of the worms.

5. kcarmartinez Member Member

Switty, This is probably late coming since you posted 6 days ago but I wouldn't bother with the parasite fish food. Most of it has meds that wouldn't work on Camallanus anyway and the Jungle Labs wasn't really doing much for me anyway. We have been Worm free since adding one dose of Levamisole and I am very happy with it. I can't say we are free and clear because it took 2 months to notice in the first place, but we are looking good right now. I will add my "booster" dose this Friday just incase it doesn't work on eggs.