Camallanus Worms

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to see if these nematodes infect all fish???? We bought a Betta about a year ago when she was tiny. Worst mistake ever I have a 75G SA, a 20G SAE, and a 29g all needing treatment. My other tanks seem not to be infected as my tanks don't cross contaminate unless these worms can go airborne. I've read what to use and how to do it. Read the forums on here just waiting on Amazon to get my stuff. My question is does the nematode infect all fish??? Or only certain types? I have Cory's, pleco, and goby with no signs of infection. But my angels, Rams, Betta, and guppies all have obvious infection. I've read once it is very far along the best option is to euthenize the fish???? Other forums call for completely euthenizing all fish in the tank, removing and discarding all substrate biomedia ect. Then bleaching the tank several times and then I could start over. Which would suck. So wondering what suggestions you have. Last time I asked I got told to try paraguard. Waste of time. I have ordered the medicated flakes along with 15 grams of drenching powder if the flakes do not work out

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know if Camallanus only infect certain fish, however you should assume that it does infect all fish because the larva can be eaten and that's how they become infected. They may not be showing any symptoms yet, but they could already be a host with them living in the gut.

You don't have to euthanize all the fish, only the ones that look like they may be wasting away and too far gone.

Paraguard would be useless in this scenario as it's only effective for external parasites. Fenbendazole or levamisole are effective against internal parasites and are often used in treating Camallanus worms.

Hopefully someone else can also chip in to help.

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Camallanus only infect certain fish, however you should assume that it does infect all fish because the larva can be eaten and that's how they become infected. They may not be showing any symptoms yet, but they could already be a host with them living in the gut.

You don't have to euthanize all the fish, only the ones that look like they may be wasting away and too far gone.

Paraguard would be useless in this scenario as it's only effective for external parasites. Fenbendazole or levamisole are effective against internal parasites and are often used in treating Camallanus worms.

Hopefully someone else can also chip in to help.
Thank you. I'm expecting the drench powder today. Any tips? We lost another female in our sorority today so hoping I can get this handled quickly. I can say I will NEVER get fish from somewhere I can't verify again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom