Camallanus Worms. Yikes!

Kortdizzy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I have Camallanus worms in my female betta. She is bloated, lethargic, and not eating. She has been in my 55 gallon since it started, so I fear I must treat the while tank. I ordered levamisole and hope to treat when it gets here, which is 2 weeks from now. Anyone have any advice as to how to handle. Attached is the best puc I could get so far. It looks like a little white thread. Althougb I think Camallanus are usually red from blood.
20190626_182551.jpg

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Camallanus are dark red in color. If they are already visible it means 2 weeks may be too long. The longer they are in the body, the more internal damage is done, and if they are in there too long enough damage is done then even once the worms are cured the fish will not recover. I lost my female betta to this; I was misinformed and ended up using prazi pro for a week before getting levamisole. The prazi pro killed 1 or 2 of the weaker worms, but the rest were perfectly alive. By the time I got the levamisole and treated her she had so much internal damage she did not make it, but the worms did die and I was able to successfully treat the rest of my tank with no other casualties.

2 weeks will likely be too long. You can try fenbendazole (hope I spelled that right) unlike levamisole it’s available in most fish stores. It’s not as effective as levamisole, but waiting 2 weeks will be too long

OP
Kortdizzy

Kortdizzy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Camallanus are dark red in color. If they are already visible it means 2 weeks may be too long. The longer they are in the body, the more internal damage is done, and if they are in there too long enough damage is done then even once the worms are cured the fish will not recover. I lost my female betta to this; I was misinformed and ended up using prazi pro for a week before getting levamisole. The prazi pro killed 1 or 2 of the weaker worms, but the rest were perfectly alive. By the time I got the levamisole and treated her she had so much internal damage she did not make it, but the worms did die and I was able to successfully treat the rest of my tank with no other casualties.

2 weeks will likely be too long. You can try fenbendazole (hope I spelled that right) unlike levamisole it’s available in most fish stores. It’s not as effective as levamisole, but waiting 2 weeks will be too long
I thought it may be too long. We ordered as soon as we thought we knew what it was. We are also currently cycling, so Im afraid to use meds that will thwart the cycle. Boy am I in a conundrum. Do you know if fenbendazole will kill my beneficial bacteria?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where is the white thread thing? Coming out the vent?

They are usually red.... I've seen dead/paralized clear ones after medicating, aka not feeding, but I can't see how the fish would be pushing out a dead worm without first killing it with a dewormer....

I use Fenbendazole in feed for my new fish in QT. So I suppose if you really want to treat it you could. But I don't think it's callamanus just based on what you're describing.

I use 1/8 of a tsp fenbend powder in 2 tablespoons of Repashy gel powder. I also add Epsom salts to act as a laxative helping the fish to push out the dead worms.

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you see the worm move at all? Camallanus worms will usually protrude when the fish is stationary and retract when the fish is moving.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
White stringy poo are a sign of internal parasites. With camalanus worms, the white stringy poo is intestinal lining being worn away as the camalanus feast

Can you see the worm move at all? Camallanus worms will usually protrude when the fish is stationary and retract when the fish is moving.
When the fish is stationary you can often physically see them move

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Kortdizzy

Kortdizzy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did see them retract and then emegere. Couldnt tell if they wiggled or not because the fish is moving and they are tiny. They werent red, but maybe pink. I had just taken her out of quarantine and put her in the main tank, and I noticed the protrusions. Maybe the meds she was in turned them white. I also havent fed her in a few days. First 2, then one, then 2 again. Yuck! I have her back in quarantine till meds get here, in hopes that the worms dont reproduce as fast in the main tank with her being the only one that has visible signs so far. Im sure the main already has it though.

Where is the white thread thing? Coming out the vent?

They are usually red.... I've seen dead/paralized clear ones after medicating, aka not feeding, but I can't see how the fish would be pushing out a dead worm without first killing it with a dewormer....

I use Fenbendazole in feed for my new fish in QT. So I suppose if you really want to treat it you could. But I don't think it's callamanus just based on what you're describing.

I use 1/8 of a tsp fenbend powder in 2 tablespoons of Repashy gel powder. I also add Epsom salts to act as a laxative helping the fish to push out the dead worms.
You can sort of see the worm in the pic. Its the little white hair looking think coming out from her pelvic fin area. All the other pics I get, the worm is too light and thin to see

You can see it here too if you look really hard.

20190626_182409.jpg

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately, camallanus is extremely contagious. If she does have camallanus and was in the main tank, you'll need to treat it. Every time that worm protrudes, it's dropping eggs into the water column.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I didn't see worms protruding when I had callamanus in my tank. But I did notice some fish getting thinner and looking rougher and thought I saw a little pink dot at the vent of a few fish on occasion. Usually it was just after the light turns on. I didn't know about the movement thing though, i think my fish are always moving. But anyway it was just a pink dot. I would have never noticed if I didn't look for it. I only saw the clear worms hanging out afterward. Or it was intestinal tissue because she didn't make it.

If it's camallanus, I'd look for Levamisole. You can dose the water and ensure everyone gets treated.

Last edited:

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I didn't see worms protruding when I had callamanus in my tank. But I did notice some fish getting thinner and looking rougher and thought I saw a little pink dot at the vent of a few fish on occasion. Usually it was just after the light turns on. I didn't know about the movement thing though, i think my fish are always moving. But anyway it was just a pink dot. I would have never noticed if I didn't look for it. I only saw the clear worms hanging out afterward. Or it was intestinal tissue because she didn't make it.

If it's callamanus, I'd look for Levamisole. You can dose the water and ensure everyone gets treated.
Levamisole also treats other intestinal worms, not only camalanus

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Levamisole also treats other intestinal worms, not only camalanus
Right. If it's an intestinal nematode, I'd get Levamisole as it is extremely effective against nematodes. I used this link btw for dosing and directions
https://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1
I did the 2 to 3 ppm dose 3 times 2 weeks apart after I confirmed nematodes. Then I followed thru with feeding fenbendadole twice times 2 weeks apart for good measure cuz I wanted those nasties out!

OP
Kortdizzy

Kortdizzy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Levamisile should be here Wednesday, so fingers crossed my other fish make it. Sadly, Peaches died yesterday. This is exactly 1 week after my other female betta Opal died from the same symptoms. I have 2 bettas left. One is doing horribly and is bloated, pineconed, labored breathing, loss of appetite and color, and has one pectoral fin pinned to her body and barely uses it. I have her in QT and treating with salt and and Maracyn to hopefully help with the dropsy symptoms. Im so sad for all my fishies!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry This all happened so quickly? Such a devastating parasite. I hope the others can make it.

I'll just tell you that I treat new fish in QT against callamanus and internal parasites now after my experience with callamanus. So Levamisole is a good thing to keep in hand.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Levamisile should be here Wednesday, so fingers crossed my other fish make it. Sadly, Peaches died yesterday. This is exactly 1 week after my other female betta Opal died from the same symptoms. I have 2 bettas left. One is doing horribly and is bloated, pineconed, labored breathing, loss of appetite and color, and has one pectoral fin pinned to her body and barely uses it. I have her in QT and treating with salt and and Maracyn to hopefully help with the dropsy symptoms. Im so sad for all my fishies!
When I attempted a sorority of 3, 2 of the 3 came down with dropsy. It’s contagious if they eat the feces or the dead body of a fish infected with it, and more often than not if one betta among a batch at the LFS has it another one does too. Dropsy can be either internal parasites, in this case from the nematodes, from internal bacteria, which is also a form of secondary infection as liquid fills beneath their scales, organ failure, the ultimate result of dropsy, or it can be an underlying health problem, in which dropsy may be cured, then come back

OP
Kortdizzy

Kortdizzy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you guys know if Levamisole will kill snails and shrimp or ? Ive got 3 nerites in my 55 gallon, which is the target treat tank. I also have a 10 gallon with no symptoms, but I feel I should treat to be safe. I have Red Cherry Shrimp and an African Dwarf Frog in the 10, along with one male betta and 5 neon tetras. Idk if I should QT the frog shrimp and snails in hopes that if they are or can be carriers that the worms will die after time with no fish host, or treat them all and hope they survive. I dont have an ideal long term QT for these guys either. 5 gallon bucket or 3 gallon acrylic tank with minimal filtration.

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry This all happened so quickly? Such a devastating parasite. I hope the others can make it.

I'll just tell you that I treat new fish in QT against callamanus and internal parasites now after my experience with callamanus. So Levamisole is a good thing to keep in hand.
I think thats the best idea. Apparently there is an issue with this parasite at alot of fish stores right now. So do QT and do the full treatment everytime? As I understand, you have to treat 2 to 3 times 2-3 weeks apart! Thats a long time for QT, but Im sure well worth it. Is this what you do?

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think thats the best idea. Apparently there is an issue with this parasite at alot of fish stores right now. So do QT and do the full treatment everytime? As I understand, you have to treat 2 to 3 times 2-3 weeks apart! Thats a long time for QT, but Im sure well worth it. Is this what you do?
Interesting. The two juvenile Bolivian rams in my avatar have their second dose of levamisol scheduled for this coming Wed 7/3. Both had camallanus and were bought from Petsmart. I would only buy from this particular Petsmart bc their tanks were always immaculate, never saw dead fish and never had any disease from anything bought there previously. 2 days after purchase, I noticed a red spec protruding from the smaller female. Watched closely for a day, confirmed camallanus and started treatment.

On the second and third day of the first treatment, they both expelled several adult worms. They didn't eat at all while the levamisol was in the tank and they basically sat at the bottom. I keep 6 danios and a BN pleco in this tank (quarantine) to keep the cycle going and algae down. The danios were stressed too. Keeping the lights off seemed to help settle everyone down.

On a positive note, after one treatment, they seem to be showing no signs of worms and have a healthy appetite. All fish survived the treatment. Will do the upcoming treatment and probably a third just to be sure.

Are you hearing about a lot of cases of camallanus? Curious to hear what you're hearing.

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear. I also treat in QT now and haven't had a problem for years. Rams, Angels, Guppies, Platies and Mollies seem to be common carriers. Because Bettas are often kept singly in stores, it would be unusual for them to be the original carriers of the parasites, though any fish can become infested and the entire tank must be treated. I don't know how safe Levamisole is for frogs, but I've used Fenbendazole successfully with them in the tank. It's available in any WalMart or Petco as SafeGuard 4 Dog dewormer so treatment could begin the same day as discovery. The smallest box is about $6.00 and will contain three 1-gram packets which is enough to treat a 55 gallon tank 3 times and enough to mix with food as well. It's actually considered safer and more thorough because it kills the eggs where Levamisole doesn't. From Burgess, Bailey, and Exell:

bkfenbendazole.jpg

fenbendazoles.jpg

The only drawback, and the reason some have trouble with it, is the powder isn't very soluble in water, but this is easily fixed by grinding the powder fine and shaking vigorously in jar before adding to tank.
fenbendazole2.jpg

Last edited:

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you guys know if Levamisole will kill snails and shrimp or ? Ive got 3 nerites in my 55 gallon, which is the target treat tank. I also have a 10 gallon with no symptoms, but I feel I should treat to be safe. I have Red Cherry Shrimp and an African Dwarf Frog in the 10, along with one male betta and 5 neon tetras. Idk if I should QT the frog shrimp and snails in hopes that if they are or can be carriers that the worms will die after time with no fish host, or treat them all and hope they survive. I dont have an ideal long term QT for these guys either. 5 gallon bucket or 3 gallon acrylic tank with minimal filtration.

Levamisole should neither harm snails nor shrimp. I had Amano Shrimp and assasin snails at time of treatment, both of which were fine and whatever pond snails had escaped to my filter to evade the assasin snails were fine as well

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There have been many accounts of fishkeepers dosing Levamisole with inverts, and all of them were ok, but technically it's not advised. I removed my nerite snails, but forgot about the assassins and MTS in my other tank. They were all ok. But I would stick to the lower 2 or 3 ppm dosage. There's a lot of different dosage recommendations out there, but 2/3ppm worked for me.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom