Camallanus Worms! Oh no!

1. Picksea Initiate Member

Any advice?? Camallanus Worms! Oh no!

I recently acquired a 30 gal tank, stocked with gorgeous plants and a great community of fish, including a big beautiful chocolate angel, 3 varieties of tetras, a SAE, 2 platys and a guppy. Everyone seemed ok after settling in, but I noticed my angel wouldn't eat and THEN I noticed the red threadlike buggers coming out of his anus. Then I also noticed that some of my tetras had either cotton mouth or straight fin rot. I have treated, done with water changes and substrate cleaning and waited. The tetras are ok (I lost one but he got stuck behind the filter sponge, my bad) one lost some of his anal fin but is doing fine it seems. We also lost a platy and the guppy due to a Ph spike which I have since controlled. The angel seemed to be doing better. The threads turned grey, and he was eating. But today I looked and they were back and his belly is VERY bloaty. I've read about them exploding with worms! I'm so devastated. I've started the second treatment as it's been a week and I'm hoping for the best!

30gal
    Ph 6.6-6.8
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    nitrite 0

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    I'm sorry your fish are sick. Good luck with the treatments.

3. Picksea Initiate Member

Update: just got home from work and the bloating has become almost a protrusion. I'm terrified to lose him. I'm so mad that we recieved them so sick. But we got the tank and gear and fish for free. Literally hundreds of dollars worth. I'm beginning to feel like he just gave up and gave them away because he couldn't handle them being sick. Medicine is the only thing that didn't come with the setup.

So, now the question is. Is this infestation too bad? Should I euthanize him? I'm not sure how to tell if he's in a lot of pain, but if I had a lump that size on me, I'm pretty sure it would hurt.

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

What are you treating with? I recently had to deal with camellanus worms, and the only thing that worked for me was Levamisole HCI. It won't mess up a cycle or kill plants, and if dosed correctly, won't bother your fish in the slightest ;)
    If your fish seems to be in extreme pain, then yes, euthanize him. Use the clove oil method, it's painless and the best by far. But if you think there is even the slightest chance of making him healthy again, I'd keep trying. I'm a serious believer in fishy miracles ;)

5. Picksea Initiate Member

I looked for levamisole at all my LFS ' but couldn't find. Any tips on where to get it?

I've been treating with pima and tetra parasite guard. A friend who has angels swears by it, but it's not working for me.

6. Picksea Initiate Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Camallanus worms are viscious, I just finished my second dose of levimasole yesterday, and am currently watching to make sure I did eradicate them. Will watch for the next 2 months before adding anything else I think.

The only effective treatments seem to be fenben, which will only treat worms in the gut, not the water column, and levimasole hcl which will treat both, but is ineffective on eggs, requiring a second treatment in 3 weeks.

The only place I found a reliable source is here, from Charles. http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html.
    Do note, Neon Tetras are affected badly by this medicine, I had over 50% casualties in my neons, and it is also very hard on snails, though shrimp seem to ignore it unless recently molted.

Here is a link to my thread with my experiences.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/228107-camalanus-worms.html

8. Nicoldeme Member Member

9. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I bought Prohibit cattle drench from Amazon, same product in a water soluble powder.

10. Nicoldeme Member Member

Levamisole HCI is also water soluble, but it probably costs less on Amazon. I only used Levamisole rather than a de-wormer for another animal because it's for fish, and completely pure.

11. Picksea Initiate Member

Update: the protrusion is now an open sore. :'( he's still swimming fairly normally, but I'm certain he has to be in a lot of pain. This is breaking my heart. I'm ordering levamisole asap, but I doubt it will be here in time to help him. I'm going to treat my tank regardless, so I can maybe get new angels one day. My heart is breaking right now. :'( where can I get clove oil? I hear that's the best way to euthanize.

12. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Amazon or if you know anyyone selling essential oils

13. Nicoldeme Member Member

I'm so sorry it won't come in time :( I wish you the best of luck on treating your other fish though? :)

14. Skyy2112 Member Member

Just FYI, angel breeders often deworm once or twice a year EVEN if they dont see any signs just to be safe. I wish you luck.

15. Picksea Initiate Member

Thanks for all the advice. As I said I'm ordering regardless. Fish keeping is always a learning process. I'm sad that it has to be this way. And mad and hurt that someone would knowingly give away sick fish without letting someone know about the condition. There is no way that he didn't know, unless he had neglected them terribly and didn't bother to pay attention. But the amount of money this setup costs leads me to believe that the just isn't the case. I'm certain he just didn't want to deal with it due to the nature of the type of infestation, and unloaded them onto us.

Lessons learned:
    -Always ask if any fish are sick before agreeing to take them free or otherwise
    -Always inspect the fish yourself before agreeing to take them
    -Now I know how to treat for this particular disease
    -Prevention is paramount

At least the fungal infection is gone. And I won't let it discourage me. Everything happens for a reason. It seems I always have to learn the hard way.

Again, thanks to all for the advice. I appreciate it a lot. It's good to know that there is a knowledgable community that supports each other.