Camallanus Worms In Rummynose Tetras?

1. Jamieson22

Jamieson22 Well Known Member Member

Rummy have all been in my 125g for several months and never notice anything until today. Two of the 35 or so seem to be a bit separate from school.

Noticed that then anus seems to be inflamed and there are little red strings protruding.

Is this camallanus worms? If so order Levamisole to treat tank?

Best pics I can get:

bebb92f59b5651f4d74b0f4eb1962106.jpg

8348cc1e0b8f837a30c03f918016abf9.jpg

2988cde8417940e54e920357120e498e.jpg

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ugh..that's exactly what that looks like. The thing with this parasite, as you have sadly found out, is it can take a few months for the symptoms to show.

Until someone with personal experience comes along here are a couple of must read links:

Camallanus Worms
    Columnaris Symptoms And Treatment

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

Thanks for info. Based on camallanus links/pics I had found it looks like that is what I am dealing with.

Contacted the person linked that is selling the Levamisole powder, but looks like Amazon has it and so order that and a gram scale:
    Amazon.com : Agrilabs Prohibit Soluble Drench Powder : Pet Supplies

Will start treatment when it arrives on Thursday.

4. GreendaleCommunityTank

GreendaleCommunityTank Valued Member Member

Yup! Those are callamanus, alright. I know because I am actively treating my fish for the same. I ordered my Levamisole powder here:

Levamisole, Flubendazole & other chemicals for the aquarium

The site is a little outdated, but the man who sells it (Charles) is very informed and can help you dose your tank if you need it.

It was a lot of extra work, but I moved my whole stock to a quarantine tank to treat them. The worm larva can live in the substrate, so rather than take the chance I've totally dismantled my 20 gallon and will be starting over. However, the work was worth it! I've treated my fish to the extent Charles suggested and they are clear of worms. I will watch for signs of "regrowth" for several months, but it's looking promising!

Good luck! :)

5. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

Yeah I contacted the guy from this site but then found it on Amazon - so opted for the quick delivery. Plan is to dose 6.25g for my 125g tank. Will need to do entire tank as there is no way I can get my stock out of there with the stump and plants I have in it.

How quickly did you notice improvement? Did you lose any fish during treatment?

This SUCKS.

6. GreendaleCommunityTank

It TOTALLY sucks!

Quick delivery is where it's at, good thinking! I'm very fortunate that I was able to relocate all my little guys to quarantine so easily and haven't lost a single fish (1 honey gourami, 6 pearl danios & 1 bristle nose pleco, all looking happy and healthy!). I did lose out on my driftwood pieces, as I wasn't sure if treating them would be enough to eradicate the worms, so I ended up just throwing them out rather than chance it. :(

My fish were further along than yours appear to be in the photos so you might see results faster, but I noticed the worms reduced in size/number a day or so after the first treatment. After three days I did a second treatment, and the following day there was only one danio with visble worms. Everything I've read says it isn't always necessary but it is okay to treat a third time, which I did five days after the second treatment. That last treatment was just two days ago and I've noticed the fish are much more lively and seem to all be eating normally again (the danios are normally boisterous eaters, so it's nice to see them perk up!). However, I don't know how much of that was due to the absence of worms vs. adjusting to the quarantine tank.

I've been doing large water changes between each treatment as well (usually the day before each treatment), which I definitely recommend if you plan to keep them in the same tank along with the substrate. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

The treatment pages I saw said to treat, then do big water change after 3 days. They treat again 3 weeks later. You added an additional treatment right after the water change for the first?

I'll plan to do a 70-80% PWC before and after treatments.

Also noticed he recommended 75 degrees. I am set to 80. Wondering if I can just leave that so as not to stress the fish more?

8. GreendaleCommunityTank

I did about the same amount for my water changes, and I did them each the day before dosing the tank again. I waited three days before the second treatment, and five days after that for the third treatment. What sources did you find that spaced so much time between treatments? Were they maybe larger doses? I dosed 1/2 gram per treatment for a 20 gallon.

9. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

10. GreendaleCommunityTank

11. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

@CindiL did you battle this last year?

12. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

That is for a Flubendazole treatment, not Levamisole.

13. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

No, luckily that is one thing I haven't had in my tank!

Good luck @Jamieson22!

14. GreendaleCommunityTank

Well, those were the instructions I was given and followed and it has seemed to work! Don't know what to tell you from there :D

15. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

Just want to say i've just finished treating both my tanks for Camallanus, its a real pain. I did my final dose 5 days ago, and have not seen any sign since, though it's still very very early and I can only be certain its gone if I see no problem for a few months.

I used Levamisole, a pig and poultry de-wormer. I did 3 doses 7 days apart, feeding the fish well before treating and also blacking out the tank somewhat (Levamisole is light sensitive). 24 hours after each treatment, I siphoned the top of my sand 2-3 times over and did a 80%-90% water change, then added carbon pads for 3-4 days. In between treatments I was doing 50-60% water changes every couple of days just to give the fish pristine water conditions and remove as many worms/eggs as possible.

All my hardscape(driftwood), plants, thermometers, buckets, siphons, nets, algae scrubber, powerheads etc were treated aswell, then cleaned with hot water (things that were appropriate). You basically want to decontaminate everything that touches water.

Only 1 of my 4 angelfish showed the worms, but I treated all my fish and both my tanks anyway. I did siphon up a few worms after the first treatment, but on the second and third I didn't see any sign of them.I had Rummynose, Angelfish and even wild caught plecos and I didn't lose a single fish, and as I said haven't seen any sign of Camallanus since after the first treatment. I do think I caught it quite early though, as only one fish showed it throughout the entire process.

Just wanted to share my experience, hope something I said helps. Wishing you luck, hope it all works out with no losses!

16. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

I did a massive 75% PWC yesterday to prep for the Levamisole thinking it had arrived, however it was just the gram scale. Looks like meds come today so will dose when I get home. Won't be able to boil driftwood as I can't even get it out of my tank so hopefully meds take care of anything that my be on/in it.

All the experiences posted have me feeling optimistic. Thanks!

17. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

18. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

Dosed 1.5g of Prohibit Levamisole HCL for my 125g just now. A tad over but didn't feel like trying to put bag .25g.

Hope for best!

8c48d0e29b6769026aba51e7a7142f75.jpg

f2f18e2722edbdbab51f2d4debe80451.jpg