Camallanus worms are back

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Dempsey Dude, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Dempsey Dude

Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

So it's been over 2 months and looks like my good old friends the camallanus worms are making a long-awaited comeback in my 55 gallon. I had euthanized the 2 fish that had them (both of which I had ordered online from wetspot tropical fish, do not order from them unless you want camallanus too), and treated the tank with fenbendazole. I thought I was out of hot water after that, but apparently not, as now my firemouth is showing symptoms. Clearly fenbendazole doesn't work, and I've heard good things about levamisole HCl for treating this parasite. However, I live in Canada, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. How can I get some? Is there a place I can order it online? Is there some other treatment I could use? I am kind of at the end of my rope with this problem.

2. Stuart42

Stuart42 Valued Member Member

AquaObsessed, you can get medicated food from Angelfins in Guelph. They carry a wide range of medicated foods including levamisole. I have ordered from them before and they have provided quick service. They also have a store front and you can order on line and arrange for pick up. Store hours are posted on Angelfins home page.

3. OP
    OP
    Dempsey Dude

Fantastic, I live not far from Guelph... I went to university there. I'll check it out, thank you.

4. Stuart42

Stuart42 Valued Member Member

Your welcome.

5. OP
    OP
    Dempsey Dude

Well, I ordered the levamisole from angelfins and I've been using it for about 4 days... it's not working. I followed the instructions to the letter, I vacuumed the gravel like they said, but I saw no sign of any worms that had been passed... in fact I saw my firemouth with a huge ball of worms protruding from his anus after a big brine shrimp feeding yesterday. I upped the dosage of levamisole to see if that would work but so far no dice. I don't want to overdose on it. I thought this was strong, effective stuff? What's going on?

6. OP
    OP
    Dempsey Dude

A week after treatment, and it seems I may have spoken too soon... I've been straining my eyes staring at the firemouth for like an hour and I can't really see any worms left. Sometimes I think I do, but I may just be fooling myself, and I'm not sure if it's his vent or not. It's really hard to see. The thing that worries me now is he hasn't really eaten in a few days. He will kind of nibble at food and then spit it out after chewing on it for a bit. Is this a common thing after levamisole treatment? He was eating like a pig before treatment, even with a belly full of worms.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice