Camallanus Nemanode and Tapeworm with Shrimps and Nerites

baybeemon

Hi, my Endlers and Platies are infested with camallanus and tapeworm. I have been treating them with Eiho worm ex and Eiho prazi gold. Eiho prazi gold active ingredient is praziquantel. As for Eiho worm ex, they didn't list out the active ingredient, but i read reviews saying that it is effective fighting against camallanus, so I guess it is either fenbendazole or levamisole. Now the issue is I have Shrimp and Nerite Snails in the tank as well. After doing some read up, I decided to treat my fish and shrimp together as I read that there is success in treating camallanus without casualties. However, i read that while the levamisole and fenbendazole seems to have no effects on pond snails and ramshorn, it is not safe for Nerites, so I have quarantine the Nerites by themselves. If they are quarantine without any fishes, will tapeworm and camallanus die off after 4 weeks or they will remain inactive in the snails and wait till there is a host again? Do I need to treat the Nerite snails with the drugs to kill off the parasite? Or the parasite won't be killed even if they are treated since they are not in adult form.

My Endlers and Platies have been expelling a lot of white worm/poo when treating with prazi gold and worm ex on seperate days. My shrimps are surviving although there is drop in activities. Now I'm just worried about my Nerites will reintroduce the parasite back into the tank.

Hopefully someone with experience can help me with this. Thank you.

Passionfish

Hi! Welcome to the forum!
I wouldn't worry about treating the Nerites, because as you said, the parasites will die within 4 weeks without a host. Just make sure to keep them a little longer than 4 weeks to be safe. I know that most treatment medicines for fish parasites(such as camallanus worms) just paralyze the worms, and you basically need to gravel vacc every week while treating to get rid of them completely. About the shrimps, I would take them out too, but that's your choice, because as you said, they can survive, but some may die. That's all I know from experience, so I will try to research a bit more to help you. Sorry if I didn't help much.

Upvote 0

baybeemon

Hi, thanks for the advice. Will do what you suggested. Now I'm at bare bottom I vacuum weekly when I do huge water change. And also vacuum on some days when I see many white poop/worm. Hopefully I vacuum fast enough before the fish re eat the worm/larvae as sometimes when I vacuum I see white dots moving.

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

Nasty little worms. My gourami was a host of camallanus but i still need to know what species it was.. If its either the only species that doesn't need an intermediate host (camallanus cotti) and the rest that does need an intermediate host(copepods, cyclopoids or maybe other small crustaceans) to complete their life cycle. If it's the one that does need an intermediate host.. The chances of spreading in my tank is 0 , because i don't have any small crustaceans and I don't feed my fish with live foods.

edit: its camallanus cotti.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
newclassic1
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave