Calling All Ye Sparkling Gourami Breeders/keepers

Moe98
Okay, I just got four sparkling gouramis in. However, they look to me like , and definitely not full size. Does anyone know their growth rate, or how fast I should expect them to reach full size?

I am concerned about them being so so small. They are honestly the size of a 2-3 week old platy fry.

Pics are included below.

Attachments

• IMG_7915.JPG
    IMG_7915.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_7909.JPG
    IMG_7909.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 251
-Sofia-
I don't know anything about sparkling gouramis (yet) but those little fry are SO DARN CUTE!!! I love those little fishes

Piaelliott
Wow, they are tiny!!!!!! I have a few sparkling gouramis and have never seen them that little. They are tough little creatures and I think as long as they have tiny food, they'll be fine.
I am not sure how fast they grow, mine were larger when I got them.
Just be prepared to move your shrimp someplace else. Even though they are tiny, they are vicious hunters and form packs to hunt anrimp and rip them apart. Probably not at that size yet
Mine live with chilI rasboras as well and get along great.

Moe98
Wow, they are tiny!!!!!! I have a few sparkling gouramis and have never seen them that little. They are tough little creatures and I think as long as they have tiny food, they'll be fine.
I am not sure how fast they grow, mine were larger when I got them.
Just be prepared to move your shrimp someplace else. Even though they are tiny, they are vicious hunters and form packs to hunt anrimp and rip them apart. Probably not at that size yet
Mine live with chilI rasboras as well and get along great.

Yes, I moved the shrimp awhile ago into their own 2.5 gallon. I just have to update my signature! I know, I have never received fish that are basically still fry lol

Moe98
I don't know anything about sparkling gouramis (yet) but those little fry are SO DARN CUTE!!! I love those little fishes

Those big eyes just get me every time I look at them

Moe98
Update: they made it through the night and even attacked a few shrimp pellets I threw in there (only thing small enough for them that I have) So any ideas on what I could start feeding them that's actually nutritious.

Moe98
Okay, I am having the hardest time feeding the little buggers! I bought two more "larger" ones to hopefully be role models on what food to eat...

HOWEVER

I cannot visibly get them to ingest anything, the only thing I have gotten into their mouths visibly is bloodworms... then they spit them out after munching them.

I have tried...

shrimp pellets
crushed flakes
North Fin - fry food and community pellets
Baby brine shrimp
brine shrimp
cyclops
bloodworms

AJ34
I have thick-lipped Gouramis they are not fry, I tried tropical flakes and tropical granules and they did not seem to care for those so I tried what I feed my baby bettas...minI pellets and bettamin ...they like it and it makes sense because they are related. These betta products I think have more fish in them...I'm fairly new to fishkeeping so this is just what has worked for me.

AJ34
Or a lot of people recommend those HikarI First Bites for baby bettas...maybe that would work as well. Everything I read says Gouramis will generally eat all types of fish food but I haven't found that to be the case at all.

Abby565
Was the food all freeze dried or dried? When I first got my Sparkling Gouramis they would only eat tiny live foods, I bought live baby brine shrimp and they devoured them. It only took a few days until they accepted frozen and dried foods. Now they will eat almost anything I put in front of them.

75g Discus Tank
Try to culture some insuforia.

Moe98
Was the food all freeze dried or dried? When I first got my Sparkling Gouramis they would only eat tiny live foods, I bought live baby brine shrimp and they devoured them. It only took a few days until they accepted frozen and dried foods. Now they will eat almost anything I put in front of them.

It's all frozen foods. Some success with bloodworms cut up (I think). I am kinda going along the premise that if their hungry enough they will eat.

Hoping some fishy sense is knocked into them!

Moe98
Try to culture some insuforia.

Whats the preferred/best way of starting said culture?

75g Discus Tank
Whats the preferred/best way of starting said culture?
So you will get a water bottle and place a lettuce leaf in it.

Fill it with tank water(preferably a heavily planted tank)

Add some other food in small amounts like fry food or algae wafers.

Then, put it under high lighting.
I culture my infusoria in a bottle floating in my planted tank.

After a week, the water will either turn whitish or pinkish.

If it’s whitish, it’s bacteria so wait a little more.

If it’s pink, look for the infusoria. They are pretty small so you might have a hard time finding some.

I use a pipette to target and suck out some infusoria.

Then put it in the tank and let the gourami hunt!

Moe98
So you will get a water bottle and place a lettuce leaf in it.

Fill it with tank water(preferably a heavily planted tank)

Add some other food in small amounts like fry food or algae wafers.

Then, put it under high lighting.
I culture my infusoria in a bottle floating in my planted tank.

After a week, the water will either turn whitish or pinkish.

If it’s whitish, it’s bacteria so wait a little more.

If it’s pink, look for the infusoria. They are pretty small so you might have a hard time finding some.

I use a pipette to target and suck out some infusoria.

Then put it in the tank and let the gourami hunt!

Seems easy enough! Does it need to be kept fairly warm?

75g Discus Tank
Seems easy enough! Does it need to be kept fairly warm?
The warmer the better.

If you float it in a tank, the water should be warm enough.

Mazeus
I have sparking gourami (adults and now fry). I feed live foods and keep a microworm and grindal worm culture. Mine will now eat flakes as well (adults not the fry), but definitely prefer the live food.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• jinjerJOSH22
  • Gourami
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Joshaeus
Replies
Views
GuppyLover454