Calling all snailsperts!

BettaLover89

What up snailsperts! So I found this little random baby snail in my tank today. Was wondering if someone could identify it. It looks like a Malaysian trumpet snail to me. I haven't added anything to the tank in quite a while; The last time I added something was about a month ago when I added floating water wisteria, It could have surely came in on that. TIA

Attachments

• 20210710_175833.jpg
    20210710_175833.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 41

StarGirl

Snails can pop up after a month or so after adding plants. They were probably eggs on the plants making it a bit to actually be big enough to see. It does look like a MTS but I am not positive on that ID.

Upvote 0

BettaLover89

Snails can pop up after a month or so after adding plants. They were probably eggs on the plants making it a bit to actually be big enough to see. It does look like a MTS but I am not positive on that ID.
Okay that's what I thought too. I'll see if anybody else replies and agrees with us LOL. I kind of hope it is cuz I wanted a MTS anyway so it would be cool to have a free one ‍♂️

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The only thing I was doubtful on was the shape of the shell. MTS are usually more pointy than roundish. Still not totally convinced, but if it came in on plants it is a good possibility.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

It looks like a variant of mts. They are livebearing snails, so it likely was just too small to see until now.

Upvote 0

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

It is a bit different to the Malaysian trumpet snails I have but sometimes the tiny babies aren't as pointy as the adults.

I would remove it from the tank now. I know many people here like these snails in their tanks but for me they are just too prolific at reproduction. Any individual over 7mm can reproduce live young and the adults can produce up to 70 at a time I believe!

I was relaxed about them in my tank for months but over the last week or so they are taking over and are covering driftwood in the day time. Today I siphoned and manually removed hundreds of them just during a water change.

Overfeeding may be the cause of population booms but I really don't think i have been to excessive.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

New Zealand mud snail imo. Invasive species. Sometimes see them pop up in aquariums

Upvote 0

StarGirl

New Zealand mud snail imo. Invasive species. Sometimes see them pop up in aquariums
Aren't they all invasive? :hilarious:

Upvote 0

BettaLover89

It is a bit different to the Malaysian trumpet snails I have but sometimes the tiny babies aren't as pointy as the adults.

I would remove it from the tank now. I know many people here like these snails in their tanks but for me they are just too prolific at reproduction. Any individual over 7mm can reproduce live young and the adults can produce up to 70 at a time I believe!

I was relaxed about them in my tank for months but over the last week or so they are taking over and are covering driftwood in the day time. Today I siphoned and manually removed hundreds of them just during a water change.

Overfeeding may be the cause of population booms but I really don't think i have been to excessive.
Okay, well that's crazy to hear LOL. I did not take it out right away, I put it back after I took the picture. The snail has disappeared now, next time I see it I will take it out. I definitely don't want a snail species that reproduces that much I have a 20g high tank and I'm content with the two nerite snails (which to my knowledge have not produced any babies, I think they may be both males) and one mystery snail I have.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Okay, well that's crazy to hear LOL. I did not take it out right away, I put it back after I took the picture. The snail has disappeared now, next time I see it I will take it out. I definitely don't want a snail species that reproduces that much I have a 20g high tank and I'm content with the two nerite snails (which to my knowledge have not produced any babies, I think they may be both males) and one mystery snail I have.
Well letting it go will get you more for sure. Nerites dont produce babies in fresh water. Just eggs galore that do not hatch.

Upvote 0

BettaLover89

Well letting it go will get you more for sure. Nerites dont produce babies in fresh water. Just eggs galore that do not hatch.
[/QUO
That's the reason I originally got them, but surprisingly for the close to a year that I have had them in the tank, I've never seen any egg clutch's or anything ‍♂️ they are both black racers so idk lol. But they've always seemed very healthy and eat voraciously.
I don't know how I messed that up, but it got messed up ‍♂️

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Looks like a baby MTS, pos. a MS? cute little monster.

(JK I love these little buggers lol!)

Upvote 0

Marlene327

It's not a MTS but I don't know what it is. Even their babies are pointed just like them. This is more rounded. Maybe it's been posted and I missed it. Interesting!

I went to my aquarium and dug in the sand a little, came up with a baby MTS, then saw a BABY! So here is their picture, and they aren't what was in the opening post.

Attachments

• MTS babies.jpg
    MTS babies.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 1

Pfrozen

Malaysian Trumpet Snail:

Note the number of whorls. Many more than OP's snail

New Zealand Mud Snail:

Mod edit: images removed for copyright issues

OP has a New Zealand Mud Snail. Matching whorls and identical to the picture

Upvote 2

NearMeBettas

Looks like a baby MTS but not really at the same time.., cute little monster.

(JK I love these little buggers lol!)

Upvote 0

BettaLover89

Malaysian Trumpet Snail:

Note the number of whorls. Many more than OP's snail

New Zealand Mud Snail:

Mod edit: images removed for copyright issues

OP has a New Zealand Mud Snail. Matching whorls and identical to the picture
Hey there! OP here, Thanks for everyone's replys! It's good to finally know what kind of snail it was lol. After I posted that, I ended up letting the snail go, which I obviously quickly realized was a bad idea. I never saw it again. I actually changed my gravel not too long after originally posting this, and I never found it again. It most likely went out with the old gravel.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Brizburk
Replies
Views
TwiTch18
  • Question
  • Jamesyb1989
  • Snails