Calling all people with experience in keeping ADF's

Clarissa98

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I have a spare 2.5 g tank and I'm been thinking of getting an ADF to add to my community but there's kuhlis and shrimp so I'm pretty sure they'd have a hard time feeding. How many would I be able to keep in the 2.5? Would 2 work or just stick to one and also for substrate I have PFS would this work or what would be a better substrate. I have frozen brine shrimp would this be a good diet

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would honestly say 5 gallon minimum for a pair. They are social and prefer to be kept in groups so one will be an unhappy little guy.

Clarissa98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ohh ok i see. Didn't know they are social and I do have a spare 5g here somewhere haha

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had been advised against it but there are plenty of people who use sand with no issues.

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would sand is okay depending on the foods you will use. Mine liked tiny pellets which might be a problem in sand. If you are feeding larger foods they should be able to eat without swallowing sand you are good.

Clarissa98

Valued Member
Reaction score
How are these guys with hand feeding or at least tong feeding ? And I was wondering if they'd eat the same wafers I feed my kuhlis. They're Hikari bottom feeders. And I might just use some rainbow buff rocks for their substrate

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine were good eaters....I just dumped blood worms in and they were fat and happy! I used regular gravel in their tank. I plan to get more at some point soon.

marijo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I keep my frogs on regular gravel, I feed mine, every other day, frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, you may want to try frog pellets but not every frogs likes them. Some people are able to hand feed them, I never teach mine , I prefer to use a turkey baster. It's also good to vary their diet, I sometimes give them earthworms cut in tinny pieces

Clarissa98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh sweet maybe I can keep a couple in my community tanks. I wasn't sure if they'd be bothered by the kuhlis

Clarissa98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok so update. I decided to get my feet wet and bought 2 AFDs. From observing them in the first 30 mins I noticed one of them is exploring a bit and crawling around. However the other ADF hasn't swam under yet. He has just been floating at the surface near a floating wisteria. Is this behavior normal for new adfs? Also the lfs said they feed them bloodworms (can't recall if frozen or freeze dried) but right now I only have frozen brine shrimp.
Are bloodworms a necessity in their diet? I also have hikari shrimp wafers (orange packet) can I break these up and toss those in for them as well? I can post a pic of the floating frog for any visible injuries, disease etc

1 hour of still floating. Is there a way of checking is he's dead ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Clarissa98

Valued Member
Reaction score
So here's the update. I went to the store and when I came back he was floating upside down and unresponsive So I bagged him and brought him back to the lfs. The employee who gave him to me admitted he may have given me an injured frog or a frog in severe shock because he said he was a little extra aggressive when fishing out the 2 I requested. So they QTd him and gave me a replacement. Both are very healthy and I also bought frozen bloodworm cubes since I've heard they go nuts after them

So here's the update. I went to the store and when I came back he was floating upside down and unresponsive So I bagged him and brought him back to the lfs. The employee who gave him to me admitted he may have given me an injured frog or a frog in severe shock because he said he was a little extra aggressive when fishing out the 2 I requested. So they QTd him and gave me a replacement. Both are very healthy and I also bought frozen bloodworm cubes since I've heard they go nuts after them

Last edited by a moderator:

marijo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Poor little frog, at least, the employee has been honest with you. My frogs go crazy after bloodworms too but I mainly feed them brine shrimps every other day and bloodworms once a week. 1/4 of a cube should be enough for 2 frogs. Enjoy your adfs, they are funny little frogs to have

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poor guy. When the shop person was catching a guppy for me she jumped out the net and landed on the floor. I wish they would be a bit more careful with aquatic animals

Do you have kuhlis in a 2.5 gallon?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom