California Earthquake!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martinismommy, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Today during my Easter celebration with 20 of my family members here we had one heck of an earthquake...It was a 7.2! It was in Baja but I have to tell you we were rocking and rollin here...Water was all over my living room floor from the tanks/jars...

I freaked out beyond beief after and took all the beanies off the shelf's and put them on my bathroom floor...My family was screaming at me to get outside and I refused to leave my fish...I was so afraid the shelf's were going to go over...

Anyone else in CA get to experience this UNPLEASANT rocking and rolling today?

2. callichma

callichma Well Known Member Member

Glad you're OK. What a scary experience.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Wow MM! I'm glad you and yours are all ok. All of the earthquakes and volcano's in the news recently....scary!!!!!!
    Stay safe!
    Ken

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Bless your heart, MM! We're glad you and your family are okay:;hug2

5. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Glad your doing ok MM. The ground is always shaken there in Cailfofnia. Just some days more then others. I lived there ( Victorville ) back in the 60's and 70's. it was no fun when they came and nothing you can do but hope.

6. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Glad you, your family and your fishies are alright, MM. We just hope it doesn't happen again. Stay safe. :;hug2

7. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

Glad everyone is ok.......I would not have left my pets either!!!!!!!

8. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

MM, I am glad that you and your family/fish are ok. Hopefully, it wont happen again. Stay safe.

9. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Yikes! I have an earthquake phobia.

10. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Wow :eek: that must be very frightening, hope that all is well with you, family and fish.

11. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

Yeah I live in San Diego and I think we are only about 150 miles from the epicenter so we felt it pretty badly here as well. I was just sitting in my living room watching TV when the shaking started. I thought nothing of it at first because I grew up in Desert Hot Springs, which sits directly on top of the San Andreas fault, and have felt many earthquakes. But the shaking just wouldn't stop. When the P waves hit, it wasn't that bad but then the S waves came, I thought for sure everything was going to come down from my shelves! We're lucky we didn't have any damage.

12. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, I'm glad you guys are ok!!!

13. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

We, in SF Bay area, are all preparing for the next big one. I'm pretty sure that the earthquakes are heading north, and we have to be ready.

14. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

Huh... that's weird. I live in the Pasadena area and didn't feel a thing! I only found out about the earthquake because my uncle texted my aunt. We didn't feel a thing. Wow... 7.2 is pretty big. :eek: I wonder how we couldn't have felt it. I'm glad that all of your tanks and fishies are okay! :)

15. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

If anybody is interested in geology like I am, the USGS website has some REALLY cool stuff to read about earthquakes. It's fascinating to see that they occur all day everyday all over the world. I guess we don't think about them unless we feel them but they are happening constantly. This is just a list of the "Latest Earthquakes Magnitude 2.5 or Greater in the United States and Adjacent Areas and Magnitude 4.5 or Greater in the Rest of the World - Last 7 days" and there are soooooo many! It's crazy but so interesting.

Also, contrary to popular belief, earthquakes are not increasing in occurrence. They've actually remained relatively constant over the last 100 years or so. Based on data all the way back to 1900, we can expect around 17 earthquakes with a magnitude of 7.0 or greater and at least one major earthquake (9.0 or higher) every year. Give or take a few for each year, obviously, but the number of earthquakes and their respective magnitudes is generally the same every year.

16. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow MM glad you, and your family (finned and otherwise) are ok.
    <HUGS>

This is kinda why I like living in Saskatchewan. No earthquakes, no volcano's, really really rare tornado's. Mostly it's just dry :p

17. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I'm glad everyone is okay! I lived in So Cal up until 2007 so I'm pretty familiar with earthquakes. MM now that you're in the heart of earthquake country it would be wise to make sure your fish shelves are heavily secured to the wall. If you have a one piece bookcase like shelf there are straps that you can get to basically bolt it to the wall. Using these with some good drywall anchors (the collapsible metal kind, not the cheapy push in plastic ones) will keep the shelf case in place. Or you can screw them directly into a wooden beam and skip the anchors. With regular built in shelves, adding some heavy duty shelf brackets that are screwed into the wall as well as the bottom of the shelf should stabilize them. Adding a raised lip around the base of the shelves that are at least a few inches high will keep them from falling forward or off the sides. With bigger earthquakes there's not much you can do but hope, but with smaller ones it should prevent your jars from taking tumbles.

18. p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

I live in San Diego so I definitely felt it. Very scary. My cats freaked out.

19. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Wow! Glad everybody is OK!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice