Calculating Par For My Lightning,how Much?

Dexter84

Hey ppl!
So I'm trying to calculate the lights for my tank, I'm still abit new and recently kinda understand the whole ide about, lights and plants etc

I used some calculator that included size of the tank, light distance,substrate depth,bulb type,watt etc
and got this result:

PAR @ Depth: 450
LUX @ Depth: 3886
Lumens/Watt: 81.5
Lumens: 1304
LSI: 4.31
Watts/Liter: 0.28
Watts/Gal: 1.07
Sq m: 0.1953
Tank liters: 56.64
Tank US gallons: 14.96

This is led light stripes so I guess the wpg rule isn't the same as t5/t8 watts
my guess is that I have around 2 wpg as in that w?
anyway par should be the best to measure right, but 450 par depth doesn't say a lot to me.. I though
low light plants need 20-30 par
med light plants need 30-50 par
high light plants need >50 par
----------------------------
so how much is 450 par depth?

TexasDomer

If it doesn't give a specific depth with a certain par rating, that PAR rating is a little useless. The calculator may not be accurate either.

-Mak-

That doesn't sound right, I don't think most LED strips can even putt off 450 PAR regardless of depth.
What calculator did you use?

Without a PAR meter there is no way of knowing for sure.

Dexter84

That's what I thought, but lm/w still say something is my lights to low for medium plants? It doesn't have to be exactly correct. Just tired of not knowing :-

TexasDomer

We can't really tell you without knowing par. My suggestion would be to try it, and see if you can. Just buy a few medium light plants so you're not out a lot of money.

Dexter84

Alright, yes indeed. I think it should be good problem is I already have the plants hehe, and now I got another stripe so will try it out.So far my carpet plant lilaeopsis novae growing upwards so hope my new light will do the trick, btw is the par meter expensive?

TexasDomer

Yes, unfortunately it is, and it has limited uses for the ordinary hobbyist (i.e. you use it once or twice to test a light, then it sits around).

Similar Aquarium Threads

• JustAFishServant
  • Lighting
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
outlaw