calculating fish population

1. 1AvzNut Initiate Member

When "measuring" fish length, do you include the tail? First time i've had enuf resources to run into population issues.

Peace
    T

2. erk419 Member Member

3. clownloachy Initiate Member

i dont think you include the tail, but you do have to include how wide the fish is if you want to accuratly calculate how much fish mass you have in the tank and how many more you have room for.

4. Zenial Member Member

It's always better to be underpopulated then overpopulated, personally I do include the tail. When you think of the variety of fish shapes and "species hardiness", there can be no hard set rule.

Can also make a difference with water quality and other additions to your tank: plants, air stones etc.

5. 1AvzNut Initiate Member

thx

thanx guyz

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I believe the 1 inch per gallon rule only applies to fish 1-2 inches big and it is gallons after gravel and tank decor is in the tank.

Personally I think you should start a new thread in the stocking section asking for ideas and for the type of fish you have your eye on to ensure a happy healthy tank :).

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning.

I also would include the tail when measuring my fish. I like to think of the 1" per gallon rule as a guideline (more so for newbies) and not a rule set in stone. It does have it flaws. It helps prevent being over stocked. Good judgment comes into play as well. This guideline should only be considered when stocking smaller fish as stated above.

For my fish and tank (265g) I like to see that each fish has 10g of water to call their own. As you can see I have large fish. (my stocking list in my signature) I have 25 fish so that would mean I need 250g. So I don't consider myself over stocked. It's worked for me for many years.

Happy Holidays!:;rudolph
    Ken

8. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I prefer the surface area per inch of fish myself as it allows for the oxygen requirments of each fish to be met. To be honest though I use my eye as the best guide I have. If a tank looks like it has too many fish, it probably has. If fish are always bumping into each other, there's probably too many fish in there. Not something you could call a rule though as peoples tastes vary. Some people like heaps of movement, some people don't. The tail should always be included. No good measuring 3/4 of a fish.

9. yhbae Member Member

I use size including tails in AqAdvisor.com. Then it tries to calculate volume (or weight) of each species based on their size. Then it gets refined once more using another attribute called biofactor to take into account clean vs dirty fishes. Then you have the final bioload for a specific species.

Nutter: Yes, AqAdvisor.com uses surface area too when it figures out the total bioload %.

10. mosin360 Well Known Member Member