Calcium

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a mystery snail whose shell is starting to look white. What should I use as a calcium source that won't bother my other tropical fish in the tank?
Some people say snails will eat Cuttle bone. You have to weigh it down until it's saturated. Some people drop a TUMS (calcium carbonate) in their tanks for the snails. Blanched broccoli & kale contain some calcium. Then there's Snello...

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A piece of cuttlebone in your filter will also add some calcium to your water. @Momgoose56 will be able to tell you the way it affects the water parameters as far as Ph. I can never remember if it may raise or lower it a bit.
It would raise the pH if the pH in the tank is low enough to cause an acid/base reaction but it would be better to put it in the body of the tank so it will both dissolve over time plus the snails can nom on it if they want. Which brings up the question: @lian5916, what is your tank pH?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It would raise the pH if the pH in the tank is low enough to cause an acid/base reaction but it would be better to put it in the body of the tank so it will both dissolve over time plus the snails can nom on it if they want. Which brings up the question: @lian5916, what is your tank pH?
Informative

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Some people say snails will eat Cuttle bone. You have to weigh it down until it's saturated. Some people drop a TUMS (calcium carbonate) in their tanks for the snails. Blanched broccoli & kale contain some calcium. Then there's Snello...
I do ALL of that and it doesn't seem enough. I can see some improvement with the calcium powder in the Snello and Tums given liberally.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom