20 Gallon Tank Calcium source for mystery snail?

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a black mystery snail at the moment with 6 platys in a 20 gallon tank. It's fully cycled and heavily planted with artificial plants.

Am I supposed to provide a calcium source for the snail? Is it dangerous to my platys? If so, how? Thanks.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Flufeeh

Egg shells, rinsed, and placed in a mesh bag will help to add some calcium. Leave it in there until it falls apart, about a month or so and then add another. Also, feeding your snails fresh zucchini also high in calcium.

Ken

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Flufeeh

Egg shells, rinsed, and placed in a mesh bag will help to add some calcium. Leave it in there until it falls apart, about a month or so and then add another. Also, feeding your snails fresh zucchini also high in calcium.

Ken
So the egg shells, I just leave them in there and forget about them until they're completely gone and add new ones?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I do recommend they be placed in a mesh bag. Once they decompose they leave a clear skin behind, no big deal really it's just easier to remove the mesh bag than it is to go fishing for the skin

Ken

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just make sure you read through the ingredients carefully on the algae waffers. A lot of the cheaper brands have copper in them which can harm/kill your snail

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just make sure you read through the ingredients carefully on the algae waffers. A lot of the cheaper brands have copper in them which can harm/kill your snail
I just checked and the spirulina discs have CuSO4 or Copper Sulfate in them.

Will this hurt my snail short therm and/or long term or possibly kill him? Should I stop feeding him the spirulina discs?

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everyone was talking about zuchinni.

Just raw zuchinni or do I have to cook it first?

As for Algae Wafers, does Hikari Algae Wafers contain copper? Is Hikari a "cheap brand"? lol. I don't know any of this. I just bought Hikari Algae Wafers to feed my snails and shrimps. They don't seem to like it very much, even though some of them will eat it sometimes. It seems that they like flake better. Flake should have some calcium, right?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Copper can be fatal to invertebrates. I wouldn't recommend feeding any foods to your snails that contain copper. Check the ingredients on the package.

As for the zucchini, I just slice it (round) weight it down and drop it into the tank. I don't cook it or blanch it. Raw is fine.

Ken

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
None of my algae wafer or flake is labeled with "copper" under ingredient. I just don't know if that means there is none for sure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom