Calcium forming over my plant leaves?

Chiasmodon

This has been a problem of mine since I got a new LED. There's this white hard dust like stuff forming on my plants, specially on my sagittarias and otellia. They can be hard to remove once they are left untouched for weeks.

Could this be calcium?

Water pH is 8 and the temperature is 26 c.

StarGirl

Hard to tell anything without a picture.

Chiasmodon

Hard to tell anything without a picture.
Forgot to include the picture.

StarGirl

That is weird. Does it come off easy? Like some kind of bio film?

Chiasmodon

That is weird. Does it come off easy? Like some kind of bio film?
as I mentioned they are dust like stuff and hard to remove if I leave them there for a week.. I don't think they are biofilms also.

StarGirl

That is strange. I have never seen that before. Maybe someone else has? I have hard water with calcium in it and mine never do that.

Joshaeus

Are the plants using bicarbonates for photosynthesis? Plants will deposit calcium carbonate on their leaves when they use bicarbonates for carbon instead of CO2, as CO2 is difficult to get ahold of in hard water (algae can also do this, but among higher plants only some angiosperms/flowering plants can do this). See here; Underwater Photosynthesis of Submerged Plants – Recent Advances and Methods

Chiasmodon

Are the plants using bicarbonates for photosynthesis? Plants will deposit calcium carbonate on their leaves when they use bicarbonates for carbon instead of CO2, as CO2 is difficult to get ahold of in hard water (algae can also do this, but among higher plants only some angiosperms/flowering plants can do this). See here; Underwater Photosynthesis of Submerged Plants – Recent Advances and Methods
oh... is there anything I can do about this? should I decrease my pH?
That is strange. I have never seen that before. Maybe someone else has? I have hard water with calcium in it and mine never do that.
I just found other people online having the same problem with this but I'm not.. really sure about my pH if its really causing it but.. I think it is best to decrease the pH of water and let see if it would fix the problem for me.

DoubleDutch

Yep that's probably what it is. In fact a lack of CO2 / carbon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views