Calcium for Nerite snails

Matthew052248

Hey guys. So I recently bought 2 nerite snails as I decided I need a bit of a mini clean up crew with my algae. I’ve put one in my 5.5G tank which houses a betta and the other in a 10g with some harlequin rasboras and honey gourami. There both very cycled btw. Perimeters are both ammonia=0 nitrite=0 nitrate 5-10. I’ve recently read that they need a source of calcium and I researched and saw cuttlebone is good for that. I can’t find it anywhere tho and shipping is very expensive. So I guess my question is if it’s really necessary that they need it. I’ve read that if you have high ph and hard water then it’s not necessary (I’m not too sure though) my ph Is around 7.6 to like 8. (On the water test it’s very dark blue and the lightest on high ph) and where I live tap water is moderately hard as they call it. So.. with my ph like that and the fact that my tap water is moderatly hard, do I have to put a source of calcium? I want the best for my nerite snails and other fish and I’m willing to do anything that’s the most convenient but safe. Thanks in advance!

BigManAquatics

The nano banquet blocks work well. Or products like Wondershell

Matthew052248

The nano banquet blocks work well. Or products like Wondershell
Thanks for the reply appreciate it! unfortunately wondershell isn’t around where I live either :/ do you think with my water conditions it will be enough?

CrackerboxPalace

Have you tried looking in the birds section of pet stores? Unlikely you'll find cuttlebone in the fish section. Alternatively if you live near a beach you can collect some. Just make sure to soak it with boiling water for a while.

I use calcium carbonate pills crushed into a powder for my shrimp/snails, I find it more effective than cuttlebone especially for snails as it scatters and disperses round the tank better. You could also buy or make snail jello that has calcium in it.

Matthew052248

Have you tried looking in the birds section of pet stores? Unlikely you'll find cuttlebone in the fish section. Alternatively if you live near a beach you can collect some. Just make sure to soak it with boiling water for a while.

I use calcium carbonate pills crushed into a powder for my shrimp/snails, I find it more effective than cuttlebone especially for snails as it scatters and disperses round the tank better. You could also buy or make snail jello that has calcium in it.
thanks for the reply! I went to the pet store and looked everywhere but couldn’t find cuttlebone:/, also I’m not too sure what snail jello is but I’ll search it up! And is calcium carbonate pills like tums?

CrackerboxPalace

thanks for the reply! I went to the pet store and looked everywhere but couldn’t find cuttlebone:/, also I’m not too sure what snail jello is but I’ll search it up! And is calcium carbonate pills like tums?
Yeah tums work, but I use an unflavoured brand. I've seen some recipes that use flavoured tums so it must work fine. Here is one I used but I substituted the tums for unflavoured ones: /snail-jello-for-noobs-without-great-kitchens-2613.html

edit: link doesn't work but these are the ingredients:

• 1 4oz jar of baby food (I chose squash and green beens for my batches as they had the highest calcium content)
  • 1 1/2 packs of Knox gelatin (plain unflavoured)
  • 10-12 tums crushed into powder ( I used berry flavors)
  • Some crushed fish food flakes. For this we use crushed algae wafers and the whole tank loves it!

Matthew052248

Yeah tums work, but I use an unflavoured brand. I've seen some recipes that use flavoured tums so it must work fine. Here is one I used but I substituted the tums for unflavoured ones: /snail-jello-for-noobs-without-great-kitchens-2613.html

edit: link doesn't work but these are the ingredients:

Interesting, thank you for the recipe, might use it later in the future just to experiment. So just for an simple source of calcium I can use flavoured tums? And if so how much and how often? Also here is one of my nerite snails!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 16

CrackerboxPalace

beautiful pattern on that snail :)

Not sure how feeding straight tums would work, as opposed to pure calcium carbonate I imagine the flavour element would release ammonia. So your goal shouldn't be to dissolve the tums but for the snails to eat them. Just put in one pill very close to the snail and see what happens, maybe soak it in garlic so the snail can smell it. If there's no interest after a couple of minutes just take it out, you might have to try one of the other methods.

mattgirl

Egg shells crushed fine work well too. I add about a teaspoon of it to my 5.5 gallon tank each week for the mystery snails I have growing out in there. I also have some seashells in both the tank and in my filters. They dissolve quicker if in the filter but work just as well situated in the tank.

To get the eggs shells ready for use, boil them to fully cook the residue in them. Once done let them dry and then pull all of the membrane out of them. Once they are fully dried crush them well and they are ready to go.

Matthew052248

beautiful pattern on that snail :)

Not sure how feeding straight tums would work, as opposed to pure calcium carbonate I imagine the flavour element would release ammonia. So your goal shouldn't be to dissolve the tums but for the snails to eat them. Just put in one pill very close to the snail and see what happens, maybe soak it in garlic so the snail can smell it. If there's no interest after a couple of minutes just take it out, you might have to try one of the other methods.
damb putting the tums in would’ve been perfect as it’s so convienent. In case you need to know what the tums look like, this is a picture of what it is. If this doesn’t work maybe I’ll just try and get unflavoured at the drug store?
Egg shells crushed fine work well too. I add about a teaspoon of it to my 5.5 gallon tank each week for the mystery snails I have growing out in there. I also have some seashells in both the tank and in my filters. They dissolve quicker if in the filter but work just as well situated in the tank.

To get the eggs shells ready for use, boil them to fully cook the residue in them. Once done let them dry and then pull all of the membrane out of them. Once they are fully dried crush them well and they are ready to go.
Interesting, maybe I will do this. Still focused on seeing if tums would work because it would be the best possible scenario for me. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 12

CrackerboxPalace

damb putting the tums in would’ve been perfect as it’s so convienent. In case you need to know what the tums look like, this is a picture of what it is. If this doesn’t work maybe I’ll just try and get unflavoured at the drug store?

Interesting, maybe I will do this. Still focused on seeing if tums would work because it would be the best possible scenario for me. Thanks
Good luck with the tums :) if not you can get unflavoured ones at the store, make sure there is no added vitamin D though.

Matthew052248

Good luck with the tums :) if not you can get unflavoured ones at the store, make sure there is no added vitamin D though.
no vitamin d? Ok thanks! Any chance u can send a picture of what pills you use in case I come upon it, that way at least i know it’s 100% safe. Also how often and how much? The whole tum or jus maybe half because I only have one in each tank. Thanks
edit: just realized you said nice pattern on the snail so thanks for that!

mattgirl

BTW: I have also been know to use these antacid tablets. I just drop a whole one in my tanks. They have never caused issues with fish, shrimp or snails. I drop a whole one in my 2.5 gallon snail jar each week along with the egg shells.

1628049421986.png

CrackerboxPalace

no vitamin d? Ok thanks! Any chance u can send a picture of what pills you use in case I come upon it, that way at least i know it’s 100% safe. Also how often and how much? The whole tum or jus maybe half because I only have one in each tank. Thanks
edit: just realized you said nice pattern on the snail so thanks for that!
Calcium/antacid pills without vitamin D are best because too much vit. D can kill snails, fish etc.

Matthew052248

BTW: I have also been know to use these antacid tablets. I just drop a whole one in my tanks. They have never caused issues with fish, shrimp or snails. I drop a whole one in my 2.5 gallon snail jar each week along with the egg shells.

1628049421986.png
Interesting thank you. I will look specifically for this and if not maybe just a random unflavoured one will do the trick. so will just one of these be enough for a week? I appreciate it.
Calcium/antacid pills without vitamin D are best because too much vit. D can kill snails, fish etc.
Sounds good thanks For all the help!

mattgirl

Interesting thank you. I will look specifically for this and if not maybe just a random unflavoured one will do the trick. so will just one of these be enough for a week? I appreciate it.

Sounds good thanks For all the help!
I think it will but if you start seeing any shell erosion add one twice a week.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
julifhy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question