Calcium For Mystery Snails

1. Joyo15

Joyo15 Valued Member Member

I have 3 Mystery Snails. I know you need to provide calcium for them. I have a small mason jar with probably 12 or more egg shells broken up in it. Is this too much or not enough? Ph seems normal. I also feed snail jello 2 time a week for them. They dont seem to care for tums and it makes a mess.

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

An easy way that I have discovered is putting a piece of cuttlebone in the filter housing!!

3. OP
    OP
    Joyo15

Is the egg shells and jello enough though? It is hard finding straight answers just googling somtimes..... ;) I cant seem to find real cuddlebone at my pet stores. just formed fakies.

4. Smalltownfishfriend

Hmm I wonder if it isn't!! Do their shells look nice??

5. OP
    OP
    Joyo15

2 are good but one has some deterioration. has not gotten worse since I put all the egg shells in though.

6. Smalltownfishfriend

Ok hopefully they are getting enough! I don't know quite how much they should get!!

7. Seasugar

Seasugar New Member Member

Just my opinion since I've only had my snails for under 6 months. I took the cuddle bones you buy for birds and rinsed it off, removed the metal part, broke it into 3 pieces (I have a lot of snails so I thought I'd be better off with it all) and anchored it in the gravel on one side. My snails go to it and eat off of it and all looks well.

8. Seasugar

Seasugar New Member Member

Sorry, should have added this on to last post. Blanch a few leaves of collar greens, stick on a fork and sink it. Lots of calcium and they love it. If your snails are like mine (picky) it took me several tries to get it just right and it's been a 3 minute boil then throw in ice water. Let it sink in ice water and pull out. It's tank ready. :) Also, look up snail jello. Easy to make, high calcium. It will cloud your water a little but your filter should pull that out. I'm learning along with you but that much I've got down pat. :)

9. OP
    OP
    Joyo15

I have egg shells in the water (shorty mason jar full. probably 15 shells in there) and snail jello minus the tums (they dont like it). Im going to try that for awhile see what happens.