Calcium Carbonate And How Exactly Does It Work?

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, I’ve been having trouble keeping my pH stable recently, so I was thinking about putting cuttle bone in there. I heard that calcium carbonate stops dissolving at a pH of 7.4 which is a perfect pH. But I couldn’t find what happens after that. What if pH keeps rising? Will it keep pH from rising above 7.4? How does this work? How do I prevent pH spikes that go upward of 7.4?

altwitch

Reaction score
I routinely use CC for my mystery snails and it's basically just dropping bits of tums into the tank. Some go the cuttlebone route but the CC in Tums works out great and gets the job done. For water hardness I have some crushed coral I can add to the sand but that raises pH quickly so without a counterbalance of leaves, peat or chemicals can quickly get out of control.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
here's a really informative site
Beginners guide to aquarium carbonate hardness (KH)

from what I understand, the acids in the water react with the cuttlebone/crushed coral. this reaction neutralizes the acid and releases some calcium and carbonate into the water. as more acids are produced they consume the carbonate in the water and any extra acid reacts with the bone/coral. and keeps repeating. eventually finding a state of equilibrium where there's more than enough carbonate in the water to neutralize all the acids being produced.

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
here's a really informative site
Beginners guide to aquarium carbonate hardness (KH)

from what I understand, the acids in the water react with the cuttlebone/crushed coral. this reaction neutralizes the acid and releases some calcium and carbonate into the water. as more acids are produced they consume the carbonate in the water and any extra acid reacts with the bone/coral. and keeps repeating. eventually finding a state of equilibrium where there's more than enough carbonate in the water to neutralize all the acids being produced.
Oh ok.. so how does it interact with bases?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom