Question Calcium Build Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I cannot believe that I now own 14 tanks, still with the 6 footer on the way and not counted lol.
I picked up some second hand ones that need quite a bit of cleaning and the such including one that has cacification all inside it, like everywhere. It is the calcified one that I need the most help on. How do you get the calcification off when it is very thick and a non scratch scourer is not getting it off ??? could I try and get as much off as possible (currently soaking in boiling water) and then add my snails on there? I know the whole add vinigar thing but I do not have any atm and need another avenue, does anyone else have any ideas?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you could try boiling it, I would try soaking in hot water for a while, like an hour or more.

Then see if you can scrub it off, or even gently scrape it off with a credit card. Or you could use bleach if you have it. 1:19 mix with warm water.

Then rinse thoroughly and allow to dry in the sun.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Any advice for how to remove calcium build-up from tanks I'm currently using? Here in my town we have *very* hard water. We have calcium build-up on everything.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IDK if what I'm thinking of is actually calcium buildups, but I use an unused toothbrush to clean stuff off of my tanks ...........

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The soaking in boiling water and then scrubbing didn't work for me but I did put in fresh, conditioned water, chucked in a heater and bubble stick, added my two apple snails and as of yesterday there is no calcium at all on the inside of the tank *whoop whoop*
I knew that the calcium is good for the snails shells and that they like to clean but I did not expect THAT much success
uprightandlocked if I were you I would go get a couple of snails

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know for mystery snails that you can clearly see the eggs when they produce or re-produce (sometimes the females will lay eggs that aren't fertilized) and mystery snails are a type of apple snail. Mystery's are also male and female, not asexual. I have read apple snails can get huge. Not sure if apples are asexual or not.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WHITE DISTILLED VINEGAR for crusts....it is organice and acid...will break up and eventually disolve the crust....like cleaning a coffee pot.

White Vinegar will clean off all crusts, particularily calcium. Of course the tank needs to be empty. Soak the stained areas in white vinegar. I usually lay a paper towel over the areas and let it sit. The thin crusts will rub off. Then scrape off the major crusts with a single edge razor. Works very well and relatively easy....rinse it out as best as possible when done. It is organic and a trace will do no harm.

Also does all parts, filter tubing etc. If it is a ring around the top and tank is not empty, you lower the water and just wipe around the top with a non dripping paper towel, then scrape, and siphon up any chunks that fall into the tank.

Last edited:

damprye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have not had a problem with the snails breeding so far but I have been told that pet stores are happy to take them off your hands if it does become an issue. I will keep TedsTank's ideea in mind for the rings of crust myself, thank you ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom