calcium build-up

David C
What is the best way to clean the calcium build-up off my tank lid. I know lime-away will work great, but the stuff is toxic for humans so I can only imagine what it would do for the fish

So... what product would work well but not be bad for my fishy friends?

Chief_waterchanger
A brillo pad or sponge will work on a lid. We use the scrubbing brushes they sell in the pet department of almost any store. Also, a razor blade will do the trick.

Butterfly
if you can remove the lid, soaking it in white vinegar works great. that's what I do with my glass covers.
Carol

Chief_waterchanger
Ohhh I forgot about white vinegar! Good call! (Plus Vinegar smells so clean. )

Butterfly
One note you must never mix vineger and bleach! it will burn your eye and take your breath just like mixing bleach and ammonia.
Carol

Slug
Chief_waterchanger said:
Ohhh I forgot about white vinegar! Good call! (Plus Vinegar smells so clean. )
I can't stand it! It seriously can drive me out of a room/house. I avoid it at all costs, sucks that silicone smells like it.

I just use a scrub pad and water.

Alasse
I not long did my lids which, honestly, I thought were ready for the rubbish. I wiped them over with a good layer of vinegar, waited a minute, then rinsed it of well. Brought them up like they were brand new!

Butterfly
Vinegars cheap too
carol

David C
Thanks for the tips, I'll pick up some vinegar tomorrow during my weekly trip to Walmart. I only go in there once a week because I can't get out for under $100. I'm sure I'm not the only person with that problem

Top Bottom