55 Gallon Tank Calcium build up on lids of tanks , fish healthy

Ardiej

I have a 55g and a 10g . I keep getting calcium build up on both lids . I’ve read that it’s from water hardness . My main question is what products can I use to bring it down so it won’t do that or should I leave it?? I’ve been using prime water conditioner ,do they have a product to help or any other company?
And I’m sure it’ll be asked I don’t do any water testing I take frequent care of them do my cleaning and water changes I try to not get wrapped up in levels and numbers.

BigManAquatics

There are ways to soften the water but your fish are probably used to it so it may be more harm to the livestock than good. I just take my lids off every so often and scrub and use razor blades.

MacZ

You can only lower hardness by dilution or by removing hardness, there is no physically possible way to do this by adding anything.

Dilution would be via distilled, RO, DI or rainwater. Removal ends you up with RO or DI and you can do that only with your tap before adding to the tank, so we're back at dilution.

It depends heavily on what fish you keep to say whether it's a good idea to do that or not. Might be you have hardwater species anyway, then you will have to leave the water as it is anyway and stick to removal by hand.

If you can remove the affected parts from the tank: Use diluted vinegar essence when scrubbing it over the sink or the shower. Helps loosen the scale.

SparkyJones

You can only lower hardness by dilution or by removing hardness, there is no physically possible way to do this by adding anything.

Dilution would be via distilled, RO, DI or rainwater. Removal ends you up with RO or DI and you can do that only with your tap before adding to the tank, so we're back at dilution.

It depends heavily on what fish you keep to say whether it's a good idea to do that or not. Might be you have hardwater species anyway, then you will have to leave the water as it is anyway and stick to removal by hand.

If you can remove the affected parts from the tank: Use diluted vinegar essence when scrubbing it over the sink or the shower. Helps loosen the scale.
Just be careful about sinks and showers, glass and ceramics like porcelain don't mix and glass will shatter pretty easily into little bits if it gets one good hit. Not saying you can't do it, just saying be careful when you do or you might wind up with a shattered lid. If it slips or slides around and bangs into something.

MacZ

Provided it's actually a glass lid. I think it goes without saying that in that case caution is advised.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
VSA
Replies
Views
David C
Replies
Views