cae on floor dead

jono-187

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
heel fellow people of fishlore. I was just won dering if anyone knows weather the cae can jump?, or if anyone has experienced one jumping?. because I woked up thiss morning and couldint see my cae in the tank,m but then I noticed him on the floor (r.i.p cae) and I am curious as to how he got there as I hbave a glass lid on mny6 tank. there is a small gap between the lid and the edges of the tank but only about 3 maybe for mm. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any ideas.

thanks in advance

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry Almost any fish can jump.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry you lost your golden cae that way.

Chinese Algae Eaters are extremely strong swimmers. They do jump. A couple years back I almost lost one. I was catching all of my cleaning crew to put them back out in my pond. All that was left to catch was the CAE. There were no ornaments in the tank or substrate or anything except water and the CAE. I still couldn't catch the bugger. I lowered the water level until it was only 1 inch deep. I finally cornered my cae (who was about 6 inches long at the time). My sister was watching me and laughing at me because it was taking 45 minutes to catch one fish. My cae jumped out of the 1 inch of water, out of the 40 gallon breeder tank, and landed on the floor in the middle of the room. If my sister wasn't there to catch it, it would have wiggled it's way under some built in bookshelves where I would not have been able to retrieve it without killing it.

So yes, cae's do jump. Quite well.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello jono,

Sorry to hear that you lost a CAE. RIP.

Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fish don't need hardly any gap. I had a Berta jump out of a hole less than .5 square inches.

macifire

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yikes, I better watch out for that, sorry you lost your fish

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads