Cabomba Uk

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey everyone,
I was looking at plants on ebay and found that quite a few people were selling cabomba. I thought this was illegal in Britain? I thought it was classed as invasive so people weren't allowed to trade it. If it is not illegal I would love to buy some. I was wanting to buy around 50 stem plants, a mixture of different plants, and it was hard to find people that weren't selling cabomba. Here is a link to one place that was selling it in a mixed group of plants but loads of other people were selling it too

Could anyone confirm for me whether it is legal to buy this stuff? Thanks

Benfreshwater

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know it was banned to be used in outdoor ponds etc in 2016 along with a long list of other pond plants... But using it in a aquarium I am not to sure if the law covers that too.....

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, it is on the list of banned plants here
They maybe getting around the ban if they’re selling a different variety of Cabomba than is named

OP
BottomDweller

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you both. Do you think it is ok for me to buy it? It would just be used in my indoor tanks.

Edit: That link says that cabomba caroliniana is banned however this particular seller was selling cabomba aquatica and cabomba piauhyensis

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
I have some in my initial aquarium but it will be gone by the end of the week

Came as part of a pack of various plants from

Plants were fine apart from harbouring snail explosions that did not die despite many treatments plus a 2 week soak in a salt bath. reason for getting rid of the live plants is that they simply unsuited to what I want from the aquarium and the fish & snails either ate them, ripped them or dug them up, so they are being replaced with artificial instead

Benfreshwater

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't be 100% certain but I think if you used it indoors and disposed of it correctly after use or when dead etc then your doing no harm personally..

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as it’s not one of the named banned species then I think you’ll be ok to buy some

OP
BottomDweller

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks everyone. I think I will get some since it isn't cabomba caroliniana

New Threads