Cabomba piauhyensis (Cabomba red) has changed color!

meanddoxie

Hey, when I got my Red Cabomba in the mail several weeks ago it was a really awesome red, orange mix of colors.
Capture.JPG

However my tank is constantly being re-arranged by a certain pleco and who is aptly named, pleco (darned kids) so my tank doesn't look anywhere near as pretty as it did when I got my plants in, Anyway, my Red Cabomba is now a light color of pinkish purple, very light, the camera had trouble picking up the colors and I have a fairly mid-high end camera.
As you can see by the plants not being at the bottom of the tank I haven't replanted anything tonight so there is a lot floating. I also never planted the Cabomba anywhere near the crypt so its funny that the pleco thought that would be a nice location, upside down no less.

pink1.JPG
pink.JPG
pink2.JPG
pink3.JPG
pink4.JPG

and then here is the new growth

new growth.JPG

My question is should I remove the "pink" or is it healthy? how do I know? I think its a really neat color but I haven't seen it before so I am concerned that it is die off that is going to just be a contaminant in the tank. Thanks for all your help!

ZombieKeepr

Well Known
You shouldn't have to remove it. The coloration is natural and you can tell whenever it starts to die. Cabomba becomes mushy and brown and fish/snails will start to eat the decaying parts of the plant. So, I would just leave it alone and let it take care of itself. You have a lovely plant. I have to say, your pleco cracks me up!

The reason why your plant is a different color is due to different lighting and water parameters from when it was grown/bought. It always happens, so there's always going to be differences. I bought Crypt wendtiI 'tropica' when it was a brownish green color. Now it's grown a LOT and it's a reddish gold color. It all depends on lighting more than anything else. Your plant seems perfectly healthy to me.

SeattleRoy

Well Known
HI meanddoxie,

+1 to ZombieKeepr's comment.
The reason why your plant is a different color is due to different lighting and water parameters from when it was grown/bought. It always happens, so there's always going to be differences. I bought Crypt wendtiI 'tropica' when it was a brownish green color. Now it's grown a LOT and it's a reddish gold color. It all depends on lighting more than anything else. Your plant seems perfectly healthy to me.

OP
meanddoxie

meanddoxie

haha yeah Pleco has some personality when it comes to the plants. He likes to brush against my hand as I replant everything EVERY SINGLE DAY and I think he has figured out that my arm enters the tank if the plants are all floating so he will get his attention that way. Not sure if a fish can really be that smart but as you can tell from my pictures all the fish in the tank enjoy coming to see the camera every time it is out. Most of the time I look at my tank and see plants and no fish, or a swarm of guppy fry and then the camera comes out and suddenly it looks like I am running a platy-mill...

ZombieKeepr

Well Known
A platy mill. xD still, you'd be surprised what fish know. Now, every time my friend's dwarf gouramI sees red he'll spit water at it. He earns a treat and ta-da! He learns. Still, I love the guppy/platy mill. Cracks me up! xD

New Threads