C02 Dump Question

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by colourblonde, Apr 19, 2017.

1. colourblonde

colourblondeValued MemberMember

I recently bought a c02 kit for my tank but was shocked that I had a c02 dump within 24 hours of setting it up.
    I tried to save money and bought a cheap unit made in China. The company was called Ista.
    Luckily, I bought it from my local fish store and they gave me a full refund.

However, over the last 4 days, I've had 2 Gouramis, 1 blood fin tetra and 2 mickey mouse platys die.

Is it possible that the c02 dump is responsible for this? I can't say for sure that the entire tank went into my aquarium but if it did, would that kill my fish?

I'm not looking to point fingers at any company. I just want to know if anyone can give me some insight about what might have happened.

I've since purchased a regulator/bubble counter/diffusor from Green Leaf Aquariums. I should have done more research prior to buying bad quality equipment. They seem to be good quality.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Definitely. Too much CO2 can very easily kill fish - it wouldn't require the whole tank to do it. It's tempting to go cheap on a CO2 setup, but this the main reason why you shouldn't.

Just to double check, what are your water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

3. OP
    OP
    colourblonde

My PH actually went lower. It was 7.2 but afterwards was 6.6-6.8. All the other parameters were good. Actually the nitrates dropped from 40ppm to 20ppm but I suspect that has more to do with my plants than anything to do with the c02 issue.

4. TexasDomer

CO2 will cause a drop in pH according to the tests, but that shouldn't hurt the fish.

5. OP
    OP
    colourblonde

The temperature is pretty constant. 25 C +- .2 degrees

6. TexasDomer

Can you list your other parameters?

7. OP
    OP
    colourblonde

Well this makes me feel terrible. I should've investigated more before I bought something cheap. It hurts me to know that I did something to harm my fish.

Ammonia was 0. Nitrites were 0. Nitrates were 20 ppm. My GH was about 107 ppm. My KH was about 125. I got the GH and KH numbers from an API test kit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. TexasDomer

I'd be inclined to blame the CO2 dump then. It's easily possible and we can rule out water quality.

9. OP
    OP
    colourblonde

Thank you for your quick reply.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Do you have a drop checker? They'll allow you to monitor your CO2 levels to an accurate-ish degree.

11. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Too much co2 will kill your fish for sure. It builds up in their bloodstream and they cant break it down quick enough naturally, so in essence they suffocate.

12. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

I know absolutely nothing about CO2 pumps (it's why I'm on here) but don't fish need O2 to survive and then when they exhale they by-product is CO2? In nature enough CO2 is produced by fish and microorganisms that there isn't a problem with plants growing but in our tanks where it's a closed ecosystem they don't have access to them.
    I'm looking into getting a CO2 pump but I'd like to know the exact reason why!
    Sorry, did I just hijack your thread?

13. aniroc

anirocWell Known MemberMember

I had some experience with CO2 overdose; few dumps and one continue injecting over 5 days. None of my fish died because of that.
    Quite a few people reported dead fish after CO2 overdose and it's not because of the low pH but because fish cannot expel their own CO2 into an already saturated CO2 solution.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice