C. Sterbai egg log.

1. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Lately my corydoras have been laying like crazy, unfortunately most of their eggs have fallen prey to my female guppy and kribensis.

Although I have saved 3 eggs.
    [​IMG]

They are in a floating hatchery in the path of my spraybar. Today is day 1.

Anything I need to do? I am planning on feeding them hikari first bites and ground nutrafin max bottom feeder pellets. Do they need an airstone?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As long as you've got some flow over the eggs you don't need an airstone.
    The slats of that breeder trap need covering as cory fry can get through it, a pair of old tights wrapped tightly round it will allow water through & keep the fry in.
    Once they hatch don't feed them for 2-3 as they'll be absorbing their egg sac, after that Hikari first bites are good for the first few days then move on to microworms or newly hatched brine shrimp. If you can't get those very finely crush a catfish pellet, I find Tetra Tabimin works very well.
    I've never used the ones you mention but they're probably just as good
    Feed little & often & remove any uneaten food, the bottom of the trap needs to be kept very clean as fry are very sensitive to the bacterial film that builds up on the bottom
    Good luck with them, hope you get some fry & don't forget the pics as they progress, love seeing cory fry pics :)

3. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Their is a catchment compartment at the bottom, this photo only catches 1/3 of the trap.

I do not have a hatchery set up for brine shrimp but will be ordering one within the month, my diy hatchery has not been working out. I have a bottle of decapped brine shrimp eggs which they should be able to eat.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They can get through the side slats, I lost a few that way before using the tights to stop them

5. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Ok, thank you. Is there a certain material the stocking must be made from to be tank safe? Coradee

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ladies nylon tights will do just give them a good rinse first.

7. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Right, removed all snails from hatchery, removed dividers and attached stocking.

I had 5 eggs before I made this thread and 3 went missing. I thought the snails had got them but I found the 3 of them on the bottom of the hatchery.
    I also found another 2 yesterday but my guppy polished one off before I could save them both.

No eggs have fungused and they have darkened so hopefuly we will have a hatch tomorrow or the next day.

[​IMG]

Can you spot the kribensis? :p

8. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Quick question, how long will the eggs take to hatch? It is day 2 and they have all turned beige. I can not see the embryo yet. I have read in numerous threads anywhere from 3-7 days? Could you clarify? Coradee

Thank you for helping me out btw.

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Depending on temperature I've found they hatch between 3-5 days, if they've gone a creamy brown colour that's a good sign they're fertile.
    I'd be watching them from tomorrow if that's the third day for any signs of movement.
    The fry are minute & hard to see unless they move, after about 24 hours they start to darken & you can see them a bit more clearly.
    This pic is of a newly hatched fry, the giant 'gravel' grains are actually sand as I had to use a super macro setting to get the shot.

[​IMG]

10. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Day 4:
    Egg count: 6 no losses.
    I can see the little corys bodies in the eggs. My guess is they will hatch tomorrow or thursday.

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's good news, not long to go now & you'll have wrigglers :)

12. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Mine just laid eggs too! Fingers cross for babies hatching :) i love babies lol.

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Me too, can never have enough.
    This was some of my last lot of venezuelanus

[​IMG]

14. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Omg tiny!!! Excuse me i have to step away and make an embarrassing female squee. Lol.

15. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Lol, yes they are extremely small, sometimes unless they move you can't even see them

16. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I may have baby talked to the picture.

17. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Day 5:
    1-2 of the 6 eggs have hatched. I collected these ones before the others so I'm guessing tomorrow the others will hatch. I am yet to see the fry, I need to go find a magnifying glass. :)

18. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I have found one of the fry. However it is so tiny I can't take a photo with my bad camera.

EDIT: Make that 2!!

19. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I'm assuming 2-3 is 2-3 days?

20. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Yes 2-3 days, once you see them swimming freely then you can start feeding