Bwood22's Cichlid Photolog

Bwood22

I have so many pics of these fish....I swear I have issues.
I think I have more pics of my fish than of my kids.
Those of you who know me know I love posting pics of my fish and I try to get as creative as I can sometimes to make things somewhat interesting.
So instead of trying to find an excuse to post a cool pic on some relative thread....I'll just post them here.
If you don't care to look at my totally awesome beautiful cichlids then carry on. But if you do, Ill try to not disappoint.

So this evening I had my camera up against the glass, I love shooting long ways through the tank.
I just snapped the pics as things came in to focus...this is what happened.
20211119_215951.jpg
20211119_220019.jpg
20211119_220034.jpg
20211119_220049.jpg
20211119_220100.jpg
20211119_220235.jpg
20211119_220249.jpg
20211119_220155.jpg
20211119_220253.jpg
20211119_220232.jpg

Stripedbass

I wish I had room for a nice Cichlid tank. Are those stacked rocks or a pre made decoration?

Bwood22

I wish I had room for a nice Cichlid tank. Are those stacked rocks or a pre made decoration?
That is a Petsmart premade decoration.
Im about to replace it with real rocks soon.
Maybe after the holidays.
Its hollow and it has some gunk growing inside of it, probably some type of anoxic funk. Every time I water change a little but comes floating out....its gross, I don't like it.

The only reason I got it is because my original big rock (Universal Rocks Holey Rock) was just too white and the fish were always washed out.
That's why I got the Petsmart rock and the black smooth rocks you see..

I need to find a home for this. I paid like $150 for it and I only used it for about 3 months.

20211120_142610.jpg

20210410_225810.jpg

Stripedbass

That is a Petsmart premade decoration.
Im about to replace it with real rocks soon.
Maybe after the holidays.
Its hollow and it has some gunk growing inside of it, probably some type of anoxic funk. Every time I water change a little but comes floating out....its gross, I don't like it.

The only reason I got it is because my original big rock (Universal Rocks Holey Rock) was just too white and the fish were always washed out.
That's why I got the Petsmart rock and the black smooth rocks you see..

I need to find a home for this. I paid like $150 for it and I only used it for about 3 months.
Throw her up on buy sell trade. I'm sure you can get it gone.

Bwood22

My Red Empress is letting me know that something is going on in my tank.
He never looks like this.

20211124_234124.jpg

More to come on that when I figure it out.

For reference: This is him 24/7

20211116_000422.jpg

Edit:

Oh ok....it's pretty obvious.

African Cichlid assessment:

Who want's to take a stab at what's going on here?

20211124_234940.jpg

carsonsgjs

My Red Empress is letting me know that something is going on in my tank.
He never looks like this.

20211124_234124.jpg

More to come on that when I figure it out.

For reference: This is him 24/7

20211116_000422.jpg

Edit:

Oh ok....it's pretty obvious.

African Cichlid assessment:

Who want's to take a stab at what's going on here?

20211124_234940.jpg
Can’t see any issue there at all…

Bwood22

Can’t see any issue there at all…
So I have an ongoing rivalry between the Dragonblood on the far right and the OB on the far left.

You can see the pits they have dug and they are both pushing everyone out of their respective territories. It's time to reset the landscape.

They don't normally do this. Usually they bicker between the two of them about who is king of the day and they try to kick each other out of the right side only, leaving the rest of the tank free.

Since they are now both claiming a side, the aggression they usually give each other is spilling over to the rest of the population that is now stuck in the middle.

I'll do a good water change and move their stuff around and cause some chaos. Then they will be fine for a week or two.

carsonsgjs

So I have an ongoing rivalry between the Dragonblood on the far right and the OB on the far left.

You can see the pits they have dug and they are both pushing everyone out of their respective territories. It's time to reset the landscape.

They don't normally do this. Usually they bicker between the two of them about who is king of the day and they try to kick each other out of the right side only, leaving the rest of the tank free.

Since they are now both claiming a side, the aggression they usually give each other is spilling over to the rest of the population that is now stuck in the middle.

I'll do a good water change and move their stuff around and cause some chaos. Then they will be fine for a week or two.
Sorry, I was being slightly sarcastic - I spotted it straight away based on the huge pit and everyone else crammed towards one end of the tank. Interesting to see though. The life of a cichlid keeper is never dull!

Bwood22

Sorry, I was being slightly sarcastic - I spotted it straight away based on the huge pit and everyone else crammed towards one end of the tank. Interesting to see though. The life of a cichlid keeper is never dull!
Ain't that the truth.

You know what else is crazy? My fish dont fight.....until the tank light turns off.
I have an aquasky LED and ive got it running on Pro mode so it has a daytime setting and an evening setting then it cuts itself off at the same time every night.

Let me tell you....if the lights in the house are still on when that tank light cuts off....it turns into wrestlemania world war 3 in there.
It's so weird. The big guys start going at it hard. And they are big and loud.

As soon as I cut the light back on....everyone chills out.

Bwood22

African Cichlid fun fact:

Male Haps and Peacocks will develop pointed anal and dorsal fins as they mature, but they are rounded as juveniles.
The growth process by which these pointy fins develop involves constant splitting and regrowing.

SmartSelect_20211126-163546_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211126-163931_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211126-164018_Gallery.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
  • Question
  • Jayanna
  • Platy
Replies
Views