Buying unsexed Sparkling gourami's

HakeyrKelly

So I've been wanting some sparkling gouramis but the only ones I can find are across the country. So. Someone put up an ad about three unsexed sparkling gouramis and I'm really tempted to get them. But I heard it's hard to sex them when you're not in person. Should I just go and get them? I wouldn't like to have to sell or separate them within a week or two. They'd be going into a 10 gal walstad aquarium and I'd just leave the fry in the tank unless there is an inexpensive way to breed and house them? Thanks in advance.

Lucy

Sparkling Gouramis are awesome little fish. Go ahead and get them (depending on what else is in the tank). Even in person they are hard to sex. They do well in a planted tank.

Is there a reason you are hesitating?

OP
HakeyrKelly

HakeyrKelly

Lucy said:
Sparkling Gouramis are awesome little fish. Go ahead and get them (depending on what else is in the tank). Even in person they are hard to sex. They do well in a planted tank.

Is there a reason you are hesitating?
Purely because I don't want to end up with say 2 males and 1 female, having to separate/sell some. Sadly the ad is pending but definitely have my eye out for them.

Basil

Well Known
Following. I’ve just set up a planted 10 g for an eventual species only sparkling gourami tank. It will be 4-5 weeks before I’m ready to look for the fish though.
I’ve also read that they are difficult to sex.
Will you update once you get yours?

OP
HakeyrKelly

HakeyrKelly

Basil said:
Following. I’ve just set up a planted 10 g for an eventual species only sparkling gourami tank. It will be 4-5 weeks before I’m ready to look for the fish though.
I’ve also read that they are difficult to sex.
Will you update once you get yours?
Well I'm between getting them and a betta. But yes I will try and remember to update.

New Threads