Buying Tropical Fish

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Go to your LFS and look into their tanks. See if the fish are healthy.

You can also ask them questions and cross check their answers with us.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
75g Discus Tank said:
Go to your LFS and look into their tanks. See if the fish are healthy.

You can also ask them questions and cross check their answers with us.
I have went to them in the past few days, the chain ones didn't seem that healthy. There was at least one dead fish in every tank. However, the more local one seemed like they were mainly healthy.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
for the fish you want- you are better off getting from your LFS - you'll pay loads in shipping for fairly average fish.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BobNJerry said:
for the fish you want- you are better off getting from your LFS - you'll pay loads in shipping for fairly average fish.
If you go on Aquabid, you can find free shipping options.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Unfortunately chain pet stores have to put their main focus on product, customer service, and dog/cat related things. 9 times out of 10 the fish at a fish specific store are going to be better because that’s the only thing they have to focus on.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As an aside, you have stocking issues with your plan, if you'd like to discuss them before you make the mistake of buying them all

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
As an aside, you have stocking issues with your plan, if you'd like to discuss them before you make the mistake of buying them all
I'm not buying them all at once. I have posted a separate thread on here asking if I had a decent plan and no one mentioned anything. What are the issues?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ValerieAdams said:
I'm not buying them all at once. I have posted a separate thread on here asking if I had a decent plan and no one mentioned anything. What are the issues?
I just meant before you bought the fish, so you wouldn't have to return them But I'm sorry no one mentioned it before!

Clown killis likely won't compete well in your tank. I have them, and they are timid, especially compared to the more boisterous fish you have planned. I would think they'd be too stressed with those other fish.

What size tank is this for?

Julii cories (you'd be buying false juliis, C. trilineatus, as true juliis are very hard to find) are not temperature compatible with the German blue ram (GBR) - they'd suffer a shorter lifespan at the higher temps required by the GBR (80 - 82 F for the GBR). I'd go with one of the warmer water species, either C. sterbai, C. aeneus, or C. splendens.

Neons also aren't temperature compatible with GBR, so I'd go with the cardinals.

Are you okay with having a few dozen to a few hundred Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS)? One will quickly turn into many.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
I just meant before you bought the fish, so you wouldn't have to return them But I'm sorry no one mentioned it before!

Clown killis likely won't compete well in your tank. I have them, and they are timid, especially compared to the more boisterous fish you have planned. I would think they'd be too stressed with those other fish.

What size tank is this for?

Julii cories (you'd be buying false juliis, C. trilineatus, as true juliis are very hard to find) are not temperature compatible with the German blue ram (GBR) - they'd suffer a shorter lifespan at the higher temps required by the GBR (80 - 82 F for the GBR). I'd go with one of the warmer water species, either C. sterbai, C. aeneus, or C. splendens.

Neons also aren't temperature compatible with GBR, so I'd go with the cardinals.

Are you okay with having a few dozen to a few hundred Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS)? One will quickly turn into many.

I never saw that about Clown Killifish anywhere, thanks for mentioning that. I have a 29 gallon tank. Is there another type of fish you would suggest with the tank mates I have planned?

I will look into the other types of cories for sure. I used a comparison/stock calculator to make sure all the temperatures matched, maybe the Julii’s just barely fit in the category.

I was also leaning to the cardinals instead of the neons, so that is what I will go with

I have read about the Malaysian trumpet snails reproducing very fast, however I am getting a more sandy substrate and want them to help keep it stirred between the times that I do it. But if you have another suggestion, I’m open to them!

Another question, what order would you stock this tank? And what’s any other advice you can give me lol

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mom2some said:
How about a larger school of cardinals instead of two schools if different fish?
What if I didn’t have any cories, because the Ram stays towards the bottom, right? And then did two schools of middle swimming fish? Would that be better?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I personally would think it will be too busy. But it is your tank. Since you will hopefully stock gradually - add one school & see how it looks.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mom2some said:
I personally would think it will be too busy. But it is your tank. Since you will hopefully stock gradually - add one school & see how it looks.
How big of a school would you do if I only do the cardinals? Or is there another type of fish you would suggest?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ValerieAdams said:
I never saw that about Clown Killifish anywhere, thanks for mentioning that. I have a 29 gallon tank. Is there another type of fish you would suggest with the tank mates I have planned?

I will look into the other types of cories for sure. I used a comparison/stock calculator to make sure all the temperatures matched, maybe the Julii’s just barely fit in the category.

I was also leaning to the cardinals instead of the neons, so that is what I will go with

I have read about the Malaysian trumpet snails reproducing very fast, however I am getting a more sandy substrate and want them to help keep it stirred between the times that I do it. But if you have another suggestion, I’m open to them!

Another question, what order would you stock this tank? And what’s any other advice you can give me lol
There are many species that would work. What kind of schooling fish do you like? Any particular colors?

Stock calculators don't usually have accurate info. Use Planet Catfish, Seriously Fish, and Fishbase for species info, and remember to go a few degrees away from the extreme ends of their ranges.

MTS would be great for that! Just wanted to make sure you'd be okay with many

I would stock the schooling fish first, one species at a time so you don't overwhelm the bacteria, then stock the rams last.

ValerieAdams said:
What if I didn’t have any cories, because the Ram stays towards the bottom, right? And then did two schools of middle swimming fish? Would that be better?
There should be room for both the rams and the cories, and you could still have two mid/upper dwelling schools. Removing the cories doesn't create more space in the middle of the tank.

ValerieAdams said:
How big of a school would you do if I only do the cardinals? Or is there another type of fish you would suggest?
You could do something like these options?

8x Cardinals
8x Lemon tetra
8x C. sterbai, C. aeneus, C. splendens (just one species, but these are temp compatible)
2x German blue ram
1x DG
Keep temp at 80 F

15x Cardinals
8x C. sterbai, C. aeneus, C. splendens (just one species, but these are temp compatible)
2x German blue ram
1x DG
Keep temp at 80 F

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
There are many species that would work. What kind of schooling fish do you like? Any particular colors?

Stock calculators don't usually have accurate info. Use Planet Catfish, Seriously Fish, and Fishbase for species info, and remember to go a few degrees away from the extreme ends of their ranges.

MTS would be great for that! Just wanted to make sure you'd be okay with many

I would stock the schooling fish first, one species at a time so you don't overwhelm the bacteria, then stock the rams last.

There should be room for both the rams and the cories, and you could still have two mid/upper dwelling schools. Removing the cories doesn't create more space in the middle of the tank.

You could do something like these options?

8x Cardinals
8x Lemon tetra
2x German blue ram
1x DG
Keep temp at 80 F

15x Cardinals
2x German blue ram
1x DG
Keep temp at 80 F
This was very helpful thank you!! I love bright colored fish, so I was looking for bright schooling fish. I’ve never seen a lemon tetra but I’m going to look them up.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When they are comfortable and colored up, lemons are a beautiful yellow color. Alternatively, look into glowlight tetras (not the Glo tetras) - they are beautifully and brightly colored.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
When they are comfortable and colored up, lemons are a beautiful yellow color. Alternatively, look into glowlight tetras (not the Glo tetras) - they are beautifully and brightly colored.
Are there any others than Tetras that would work?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom