buying pleco

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have been wanting a pleco for my 29 gallon tank. Would my tank be big enough for one or maybe something similar?

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend Oto's instead. They're cheaper, stay littler (giving you more "fish length" space for other fish), and they're out in the daytime. Pleco's get big (up to two feet!) and are nocturnal. And I'm told they'll eat fish smaller than them from time to time.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a bristlenose would work as they get from 4-5 inches.
Carol

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Common plecos would not be a good choice for your tank as they can get up to 2 feet in length!

A better choice would be a Bristlenose pleco. They are much smaller (4-5"), and clean algae very well.

I will also recommend a Rubber Lip Pleco. They get 5" and clean the algae good as well. I have one myself in a 35 gallon tank and it is doing very well.

Otocinclus would also be a good choice. They get only 2", but like to be in groups of 3 or more. They are entirely herbivores and need to be constantly grazing on organic matter. They are very cute little fish.

Good luck in your choice. Brianna

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
choices, choices isn't it fun LOL
Carol

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
choices are fun so cool to get a bigger tank and so many options of what to put in it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
there are many types of pleco. some only reach 4" try a tiger pleco. I have seen them in some specialty shops a little more cost but look really cool without outgrowing your tank.
mojo

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
The tiger pleco does that look like a normal pleco same color i mean. Because i think one of my lfs has some.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stripes

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cool i think that is the exact sameone my lfs has. I think i will buy one once my tank gets cycled.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jayfl234 said:
i have been wanting a pleco for my 29 gallon tank. Would my tank be big enough for one or maybe something similar?
Do some shopping and ask questions. I have found really nice small aquarium shops in my city. Many selling healthier and more beautiful fish than their conglomerate cousins. Their are many types of cleaning fish i am a pleco fan and would recommend you take a look at the many varities before you buy. Some are harder to take care of than others though. Find the right fit for your tank scheme, take your time you will be fine. Good luck.
mojo

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks I have had ottos in my tank for a short time and they did not fair so well. Think the place where i bought them they had some kind of disease and i will shop around before i buy thanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom