Buying otos.

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi. In my 7.5gal I have 4 male guppies. I was wondering if maybe I could put a couple of otos in there. What do you think?

I have looked in my all 3 of the fish stores around me and none of them has ottos. I asked at one of them once and they said they had never heard of them. I have also looked online to see if there is anywhere that sells otos in UK but can't find any. :-\ I was wondering, does anyone know of anywhere (online) that would sell otos to UK?

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe they just call them something else in their book and don't know what you mean. After all I regularly find fish mislabeled here. Try going to otocinclus and maybe copying off a page of the pictures of them and then when you go to the store ask them if they would get some of them. I cannot believe that there are not any Otocinclus catfish in all of the UK unless there is a restriction on shipping them in. I do know that your country has some of the hardest and most stringent rules and regulations list as far as quarantining and limitations on aquatic life and materials as I have reason to know . If the shipments have aquatic life I have had the information that they can be quarantined for as much as 6 months. That would be rough on most fish and it could be that the little otos just are not welcome because they cannot pass the quarantine. I would at least try the picture at the store first before you give up though.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would probably not add Otos because the tank is already pretty full. I'm not sure you could fit 2-3 Otos in there, and anyway Otos need good water quality and a heavily stocked tank with guppies wouldn't help that. Also I'm not sure I would want to buy Otos online. They are pretty delicate before they have settle in and I don't know how well they would handle shipping.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to disagree, but I think you could probably have 2 (not 3) otos but due to you being in the UK unless there are some local dealers carrying them, as I have said, it is nigh on to impossible to get LIVE FISH shipped into the UK. They have EXTREEMLY difficult quarantine regulations where it comes to any live aquatic species. Otos are fairly roughly treated when they are "harvested" and as they are already weakened may not survive well in a quarantine situation. This may have placed them on a list of fish that are not admitted due to low survival rate. This MAY be why no one around you has them in stock or seems to know about them.

Rose

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
I think she could probably fit in 2 otos as well. They just might be hard to find.

I've been thinking of adding some too but I'd like to have a better idea of their environment requirements and other needs first. Corydoras didn't work out at all, they provoked Rusty who became homicidal. I tried a number of things to protect them but it didn't work.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So far I'v found Maidenhead Aquatic stores have them or if they don't they'l order them, do you live near one, if not I'll try to see if somebody else can give me another store, so far that's all I'v been told.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are available online through some providers but poe is not in the US.

They are EXCELLENT at getting rid of brown algae and okay at doing some of the other housekeeping chores but not if you overfeed with the algae wafers. They will not eat the shrimp pellets either. They are totally vegetarian or at least have been here.

You can try their website at: otocinclus for any information that might help with miscellaneous information. Maybe I need to make a Guide for the Care of Otos for the Oto Board like I have for the Betta Board.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I hope you are able to find some otos, Gwenz. I am also planning on getting some otos. They would be for my betta tank. I would love to have a Guide for the Care of Otos.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will look into writing one but it may take me a bit to do it as the material on them is not as prevalent as that available for bettas.

Just have to do my best. Need to check with the other mods too.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ATM- the Maidenhead Aquatics you checked out was it in peterborough UK?
Carol

New Threads