Buying fish online

1. Camille Member Member

Hello,

I've been looking into online fish stores. My local petstore does not carry some of the fish that I would like to get so I was thinking about ordering some fish on the internet but I have a few questions before I do. Do the fish usually make it safely to your door? Do most sites give refunds if your fish dies after delivery? Do you think that the price for fish over the internet is higher or lower than if I were to go to the pet store and buy the same fish? If anybody could recommend sites to buy fish from that would be great. Thank you!!!
    -Camille

2. kelsangdol Member Member

yes, I also want to know!
    What kind of fish are you looking for?
    I'm looking for either a panda telescope or veiltail under $7 but small

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

a lot of people use aquabid, which seems sort of like ebay.
    i haven't evr ordered, but i've just looked at some of the listings - it seems that breeders will refund if the fish arrives dead, and you have to take a picture of it in its unopened bag within an hour after delivery.

one of fishlore's advertisers is liveaquaria, there's a link near the top.

4. Camille Member Member

Hi!
    I'm looking for a sunset or panda corydoras. The only kind of corydoras my pet store carries are the boring bronze ones.

5. Camille Member Member

Hi Meenu,

Thank you. I'm going to go look at aquabid and liveaquaria right now. Do you know if they refund your purchase if the fish dies within a week like petsmart does?

6. crazedACD Member Member

A lot of stores will order in fish if you ask :D. I don't think Petco/Petsmart does but other smaller stores probably would.

7. Slug Well Known Member Member

Most only guarantee the fish to your door. After that, its on you. Some will work with you if it dies soon after arrival, you just need to talk to the individual source beforehand. I order online from breeders all the time.

8. Camille Member Member

Thank you for the advice but Petco and Petsmart are all I have in my area.

9. Camille Member Member

Have you ever had a fish die after arrival and can you suggest any good online breeders/fish stores?

Thank You!
    -Camille

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Camille I have a feeling if you ask the department head at your local PetCo or Petsmart...chances are they will order the fish for you and call you when they arrive so that you can pick them up before they add them to their tanks. I know the lady that works in mine and she did it for me. Wouldn't hurt to try. :)
    Ken

11. Camille Member Member

Wow thanks! I'm going to try that, then I wouldn't have to worry about fish arriving when I'm not home...