Buying fish online?

Aquashrimp42

I have been searching for multis hoping to spend less than $100 and I stumbled across this listing on aquabid.

Would it be a good idea to purchase 5 or 6 of them or not. The seller has no feedback on purchases and has no information on how they plan to ship or pack the fish. I live in Idaho and the ship would come from Ohio. I don't know if the seller is shipping them with a heatpack or even usps priority or not. How likely is it that they would survive? How hardy are they? What are your thoughts?

By the way, I do have a 55 gallon tank with sand and shells set up and cycled.

A second question: What is the best way to acclimate fish from an online shipment to the tank? I read about ammonia spikes when oxygen enters the bag. Should I just drop prime into the bags when they are opened or dump the fish directly into a net and into the new tank or some other method?

veggieshark

Maybe not fair, but I would not buy from a seller with only 1 feedback on Aquabid. I would want almost 100% on at least 100ish feedback. I would carefully examine the negative feedbacks to see what the situation was. Most sellers are active forum members. I would try to see if the person is known to the community and read some of their posts to understand their business philosophy. I have bought some really good stuff but also a lot of sick or dead fish online.

Burdigala

Just email the person on the price of shipping and how they're going to ship fish. If the weather in your area is cold, just notify the seller to use heat packs. Overnight shipping, while is expensive, is better as it will ensure that you won't get DOA as opposed if you do 2-3 day shipping.

veggieshark said:
Maybe not fair, but I would not buy from a seller with only 1 feedback on Aquabid. I would want almost 100% on at least 100ish feedback. I would carefully examine the negative feedbacks to see what the situation was. Most sellers are active forum members. I would try to see if the person is known to the community and read some of their posts to understand their business philosophy. I have bought some really good stuff but also a lot of sick or dead fish online.
But maybe this person is new to selling fish on Aquabid and not somewhere else. Again, just email the seller with any questions with regards to shipping.

Aquashrimp42

xyz said:
Just email the person on the price of shipping and how they're going to ship fish. If the weather in your area is cold, just notify the seller to use heat packs. Overnight shipping, while is expensive, is better as it will ensure that you won't get DOA as opposed if you do 2-3 day shipping.

But maybe this person is new to selling fish on Aquabid and not somewhere else. Again, just email the seller with any questions with regards to shipping.
I emailed a few days ago and have yet to receive a response. I don't know if the seller knows to check their aquabid inbox.

Knowing what is available would it be a good or bad idea to purchase them? Should I just look elsewhere?

aquachris

Aquashrimp42 said:
I emailed a few days ago and have yet to receive a response. I don't know if the seller knows to check their aquabid inbox.

Knowing what is available would it be a good or bad idea to purchase them? Should I just look elsewhere?
I tend to agree with others, I would move onto someone else. I see these two, are a bit better:

Not ideally what I would look for in sellers, but better than some others.

May even check around local clubs/etc.

Good luck, I'm hoping to get some multies sometime!

Burdigala

Aquashrimp42 said:

Probably move on if you don't hear them for the next day or two.

Lorli

I got my shell dwellers from davesfish.com. They were healthy and reasonably priced. All of his shell dwellers are less than $20 and he is really helpful. He has a lot of other cichlids, too.

Aquashrimp42

I ended up skipping on that bid and drove a few hours to a store that had a group of 5 for 20 each. I'm also planning on picking up another male when I head to the wet spot hopefully in the next week. There was only one male in the group I got and it does not seem to traverse the entire bottom of my 55 gallon tank to reach all the females so I would like another to populate and breed on the other side.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom