Buying Fish Online

Discussion in 'Commercial Websites' started by Darkovi, Jan 5, 2013.

1. DarkoviNew MemberMember

I'm looking for info on buying fish online and having them shipped.

It's winter and usually below 32 deg. here, so does anyone have experience with this?

Do the fish die more easily, and are they stressed out more?

Are there specific sites that are more trustworthy?

I'm looking to get Endler's live-bearers, because my LFS does not carry them.

Thank you.

2. brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

Most reputable online sellers will probably use a heat pack with shipping. And many hobbyists that sell fish online might not ship at all during winter.

3. DarkoviNew MemberMember

Do you have experience? How do fish behave once they get to you?

4. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I have only had fish sent to me once, from a fellow FL member. It was very well packaged and had a heat pack with it that was still warm when it arrived. But this was also before it started getting really cold. Personally, unless the fish wasn't traveling very far (like maybe only a state or 2 away), I wouldn't do it until warmer weather.

5. brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

I have only had inverts sent to me on a few occasions, but I've done some research on shipping fish.

6. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

I've not bought fish online, only snails and shrimp. Out of 11 snails shipped, only 4 made it alive. Out of 20 shrimp, none made it. These were all packed well, with insulated boxes and heat packs. Two shipments suffered Postal Service delays, one did not.

I've decided no more mail purchases, at least not until warm, not hot, weather.

7. ivonkoValued MemberMember

most shippers on places like aquabid do a pretty good job with shipping, ive ordered plants, a crayfish, and a few other inverts online and all came in just fine, any reputable online seller will also have a Dead on arrival guarantee so you know you will get live fish,

as far as settling in i havent had anything die yet that was shipped on short notice, my crayfish died about 6 months after i got him because he had a tough molt on his last week and lost both claws :( but ive had good luck so far!

8. Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

Yes, this is accurate. Most businesses and Aquabid sellers are excellent packers and shippers. If you are questioning it, you can always contact the seller beforehand to see how they package up their fish and if they will even ship to a cold climate. Some may not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice