Buying Fish Online In Australia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by mxnewss, Jun 25, 2019.

1. mxnewssWell Known MemberMember

Does anyone know of any good sites to buy fish from in Australia?

2. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I have brought fish from Facebook groups - arrived in good conditions except one, that didn't make the shipping progress due to aus post losing the fish. :/ it was found a couple days later, but both the seller and I cancelled that order and returned to sender to reduce further shipping stress (didn't manage to leave seller's city)

Fish chicks is highly reccomended, but she only sells guppies, goodies and bettas. But all her stock is simply amazing, and would reccomend to anyone looking for high quality (show) fish.

3. mxnewssWell Known MemberMember

Shame about Aus Post losing the fish, I will be sure to have a look at fish chicks. I was looking online and found a website 'live fish', its Australian, has anyone ever used it before?

4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Getting in before everyone tags me (hahahaahaha)

Kinda depends where you are and what you're after. I've never ordered livestock online, so not much help there. But, in metropolitan Vic, most LFS can get you most species you might be after.

I would never order from interstate, simply because delays in freighting are a big issue here, not the vendor(s).

If you're in Victoria, check out Boronia Aquarium, Bunarong Aquarium (Frankston), Williamstown Aquarium, they can all ship fish, and can get most species, plus they have great setups in-store. I haven't been to Mentone in awhile, but wasn't great last time I was there. Blackburn Aqaurium, not sure where they're at, but used to be great many years ago.

5. mxnewssWell Known MemberMember

I am in Victoria actually quite close to Mentone I was there last week, it's the closest aquarium to me (that i know of) besides places like PetStock. Thanks for the mention of the others I'll check them out and if you know of anymore let me know!

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Rayonne Aquarium in Reservoir isn't too bad either

7. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

That's been closed for the last 3-5 years. It was my favourite store.

The store is narre Warren is good, just it's a bit of a drive to get to. But they have a good selection of fish available, both marine and freshwater.

Subscape in Richmond is another fantastic shop, and great for aquascaping and rarer freshwater fish (tetras, rssboras, cories to name a few)... and the staff are pretty friendly as well.

I also like to visit bulleen aquarium - the fish there tend to be reasonably priced - and the aquarium in grimshaw st (think it's in bundoora?) Has a good selection, but I think they can be rather overpriced (and pretty average quality).

8. RobMValued MemberMember

If you are after natives have a look at Aquagreen,  

9. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Well there you go, been a long time since I was there.

Wait there's one in Bulleen? I know of the Newlife Aquarium, which isn't too bad, is there another one?

The Aquarium Factory, now in Boronia (was in Bayswater near the train station) used to be pretty good. Not sure what the new place is like.

Coburg Aquarium has a huge selection of FW and SW, but TBH, very very expensive compared to others.

Oakleigh Aquarium is also pretty good. I got my pair of percula clowns from them.

Most of the above have websites you can order from, and they ship.

Oh, and if you're up for a country drive, Boomtown Pets in Drouin is pretty good. It's a husband/wife operation, and the owner breeds a lot of the FW species he sells. Good stock, mum's fish tank is stocked by them. Though I haven't seen anything there that you can't get in Melbourne.

Sealife Melbourne Aquarium is awesome, but they don't sell the fish :( :hilarious:

10. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Yeah. They do have another one further up the road, but stock there can be pretty basic at times and either very cheap or expensive! Haha I think the one up the road is Preston aquarium, the man there is super nice and really good to do trade ins with.

I believe the one on bulleen is Newlife. I just can never remember the name of the store! So I just call it bulleen aquarium out of sheer laziness, as it still comes up in Google as a result.

I haven't been to coburg for ages, but last time I went they had dying fish everywhere. Have you been recently, and if so, has it changed from when I went!