Buying fish from different stores

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DeniseMichele, Jul 27, 2015.

1. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Hi again,

So as I am preparing to buy my first fish for my 55, I had a thought. Would it be wise to buy fish from different stores? My thoughts are stemming primarily from fish that will breed in aquarium like platys. To reduce inbreeding and weakening of genetics, should fish be bought from different suppliers?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could always go with single sexes to prevent that too - save yourself from being overrun with fry!

It shouldn't matter too much if you're not going to sell the fry or continuing breeding for multiple generations. If you were doing that, I would suggest unrelated individuals. But if you're just breeding for fun and won't do more than an F1 gen, then it shouldn't be a problem!

3. L

Lohpaul9 New Member Member

Hi,
    Some people say that weakening of genetics through inbreeding only occurs because the weak genes in each line are continued. If you do proper selective bedding you should have no problems for at least the next 5 generations

4. OP
    OP
    D

So, in other words as long as you pick the best fish, it wouldn't be an issue?

5. TexasDomer

Unless you're planning to separate pairs into different tanks, you can't control breeding within your tank (within a species). So choose the healthiest fish because they'll likely survive the transition and acclimation into your tank. Unless you're specifically trying to breed multiple generations to sell to pet stores, don't worry about selective breeding.

6. OP
    OP
    D

Well, I haven't decided on what I am doing for sure yet. I've just been trying to think about my stock before I go to the lfs this week. Based on everything I've read, if I were to get all females of mollies or platys, there is still a chance of fry for the next 6 months. So as I'm considering what I want to do, I thought I should know what the best route is if I decide to keep a mixed m/f group.

ETA: Also, if you maintain an all female population with one male, I suppose selective breeding is still possible if I decide to do that.

7. TexasDomer

It's only selective in that you control the male :) You can't control which female he mates with. You could always get all male platies or guppies?

8. OP
    OP
    D

I know it is not selective breeding in the way that you meant in your other post. I guess what I meant is that if you have a single male and 4 female platys that are all completely different from each other, wouldn't it be slightly selective as you could hand pick the father and mothers with the best genetics? To connect this to my original question, if this was the case, wouldn't it be better to have your starting stock be unrelated?

I know with other animals inbreeding is discouraged, especially repeatedly. But I am not that familiar with how much this holds true for fish. Livebearers may not be the best example. I guess I should have used a different fish for my question, like cories for example. Would there be genetic problems if multiple generations of corydoras were bred that all originally came from the same store (high likelihood of being related)?

I definitely will not be getting guppies. I will be getting platies, but from what I have read, livebearer males are hit and miss in terms of temperament. So I decided that if I ended up with one sex, they would definitely be female. I have not made up my mind about my stock but I am trying to because my tank is cycled and empty.

9. TexasDomer

You don't know which one has the "best genetics" unless you get them genotyped- you can select which one you think is the healthiest looking with the prettiest colors.

Again, unless you're planning on breeding for multiple generations and selling the offspring, you don't really need to worry about genetics and keeping inbreeding out. If you're just doing it for fun, you can get whichever fish you like best. Inbreeding is less of a big deal as most of your fry will likely be eaten anyway. Inbreeding in a few generations isn't terrible. It's only further down the line or if you're intending on breeding high quality stock that it might become a concern. If it makes you feel better to get fish from different stores, do it. But you definitely don't have to.

10. OP
    OP
    D

Okay, thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice