Buying first Betta - questions

1. n

nanzey Valued Member Member

I have a fully cycled 10 gal with sand substrate, live plants, moss balls and driftwood.
    (currently no fish, been dosing ammonia daily to keep cycle going)
    I'd like to add a betta and later some snails and maybe try shrimp (knowing they might get eaten but worth a shot).

I have been doing lots of research on betta care and there is a lot of conflicting info - and some unanswered questions I am hoping the experts here can clear up for me!

1) sand is ok? i have heard they might eat it and die?

2) my pH is a steady 8.0 is this ok for Betta?

3) I have heard to feed freeze dried worm, shrimp, etc because frozen may contain disease. True? I've also read frozen is better... very confusing.

4) I have an aqueon quiet flow, I don't think the current is particularly strong (barely moves a fern that is half the height of the tank placed in the flow). I do notice that the surface of the opposite side of the tank barely gets any moment and sometimes I feel like it gets a bit of a film over there. I added a bubbler to that corner which had greatly improved circulation but the top of the water is quite "busy" now. Will that be too much motion for a Betta?

5) do they need one of those hammocks to hang out in, or can I get a plant with some large leaves? (any recommendations?)

Sorry for all the questions - I am really hoping to have success with this.

Current params:
    pH 8.0
    Ammo 0.1
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10-20
    KH 7
    GH 9
    Temp averages 78

Thanks!

2. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

Not an expert by any means but I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. =)

1) I have sand substrate in the tank for my betta sorority. None of my girls are having problems with it. They'll pick at it looking for food but if they get sand I've seen them spit it back out.

2) My pH is at 7.6. All my girls and my male in a different tank are thriving. =) ime pH level isn't as important as keeping it stable. Not to say that it doesn't have a purpose but a high pH that's stable is better than a constantly fluctuating pH.

3) I believe frozen is better nutritionally than freeze dried. I've tried both and no one really goes for it. The girls and my boy all prefer cichlid pellets (mini), frog pellets, and betta pellets; preference to the cichlid pellets.

4) A bubbler should be perfectly fine. If you're concerned with the flow rate of it, you can set up a PVC pipe holder. Drill a hole in the top of a 90 degree elbow and put the airline tubing through it. Drill holes along the PVC pipe and put an endcap on one end. Put the 90 degree elbow with the airline tubing on the other end. Be sure the stone is hitting the endcap on the inside. If you aim the elbow at one of the walls of the tank, the flow will be buffered. =)

5) A plant with large leaves will work perfectly fine. They'll rest on nearly anything available.

3. S

Subha92 Valued Member Member

Hi Nanzey,
    It is great to hear that you have researched a lot before buying your fish. I will appreciate your patience for cyclinh the tank before adding any fish. Now lets come to the point.

First of all, Your water parameters are not okey till now.The Ammonia/Ammonium and Nitrite should be 0, Nitrate should not be above 2/3 in planted aquarium.
    Secondly, You can add shrimp and snail in your betta tank. They will love it.
    Thair, The hammocks are not necessary. You could plant some Amazon Sowrd. They are long enough and their leaves are also enough wide for a betta to take rest.
    Fourth, Sand will be fine for your betta tank. Betta are not bottom feeder, so they will never be interested upon the substrates. But you could avoid fine sand, so that they couldn't get into their gills.
    Fith, pH is little bit high. Try to add some drift wood to make the water softer. But always keep monitor on the pH.
    Sixth, but not the least, Always make sure you have enough room in your tank for a betta. Below 5 Gallon is a death well for poor betta.

4. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Although I can answer all, I will answer what I can
    1) My betta doesn't have a problem with sand, so sand should be fine.
    3) I have never had a problem with frozen foods, but if your worried about it just go with freeze dried.
    4) If you plan on getting a betta with long flowing fins I would not put in a bubbler. If you plan on abetting a placket, or female then a bubbler should be fine. (This is just my opinion)
    5) Some bettas like to sleep on leaves and decoration while some prefer the ground. IMO betta hammocks are a waste of money. Your better off getting live plants with broad leaves.
    Warning: Bettas are very addictive. Once you buy one, you may not be able to stop.

5. A

Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Hi nanzey. I have 2 10G tanks with bettas also. I love them! While I've had fish before, never had bettas until about a year and a half ago. I'm completely hooked on them now. :) Here's my experience:

6. OP
    OP
    n

nanzey Valued Member Member

One last question -
    I went to the store to check them out yesterday. Some are so sad!
    I did find a few that looked good. Clean find, clear eyes, etc.
    is there anything I should add to the tank to help with possible issues? They guy there mentioned betta fix but I don't want to add anything unnecessary to a clean tank.
    Thanks again for all the great responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

The only thing I'd really want to prematurely treat for is ich. You won't need meds for that if you use the heat treatment. It wouldn't hurt to feed him food soaked with a garlic supplement to help boost his immune system as well. Garlic also promotes a healthy appetite.

Most other things require meds; internal parasites and such.

8. S

Subha92 Valued Member Member

In the pet shop, they used to store the fishes in an unhealthy way. Especially the Betta are kept in a small container withour proper filtration. Thus the Betta looks like unhappy & unhealthy. Before buying them try to avoid those betta who are suffering from Ripped fin, Fin Rot, Ich or other disease. Try to get a mirror with yourself at the time of buying betta. Plave the mirror beside the jar of betta. If they flare and show a lot of activity, then it could be said that the betta are good enough to buy for a solitary tank. Best of Luck

9. Mifuluhu

Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

If you are concerned with PH this stuff is a great. I have angels and the fluctuations when adding new water can kill them (water is off the mountains here in CO).