Buying Filter - Need Advice Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Owen88, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Owen88

Owen88 Valued Member Member

So I’m a 16 year old with a moderate pay summer job. I have spent quite a bit of my aquarium this year but I’m looking into a new filter because my top fin 40 is quite noisy for my bed room ‘light sleeper’ so my local fish store has a $50 dollar deal on a Marine Land C220 canister filter. I have a 30 gallon with a ram pair and some corries and glolight tetras. I’m worried the flow will be to strong. I am also worried the filter isn’t right for me. Any advice?? I still haven’t gotten used to buying expensive things

2. l

lodingi New Member Member

I think $50 for the filter is a no brainer. Petsmart sells the filter for $165. I don't think the flow will be too strong for the tank and canister filters are a lot more quiet than HOB filters. Not sure what you mean when you say the filter may not be right for you.

3. OP
    OP
    Owen88

It’s not $50 dollars it’s 50 off. And when I went to buy it they sold out.

4. l

lodingi New Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    Owen88

6. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I put a seachem tidal on my 33gal and was super impressed by the low sound/volume. I went with the 55, but if buying now would move up to the 75. It's not a canister, but has a number of great features (super quiet, self-priming, skimmer feature, highly adjustable rate of flow, etc.). I actually run the tidal 55 with a used AC70 on the 33gal (AC70 set to lowest flow rate), and like the 55 better. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if the AC70 were new, who knows.
    For budget shopping, I suggest ebay over amazon, but filter your searches to find only items from canada, to avoid any duties. You can also filter for free shipping. You can also surf to camelcamelcamel.ca. Important - If You Don't Use Camelcamelcamel, You're Missing Out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice