Buying Filter Media . Confused Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Nickguy5467, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

have a friend witht an aquaclear 70 for a 55g tank and planning on getting an aquaclear 50 for my 37g tank. but looking all over the internet im confused on what media type/sizes i can get that both use is not making sense tot me because each box only says 70 or 50 or 30 on it and i want to make it easier for her to get two filters tthatt use the same media, so i thought getting another aquaclear would work, sponge,carbon,biomax. but the sizes are as clear to me like mine.

I have a quiet pro 30 and quiet pro 50 that use the same media. but the thing is the media simply reads for each filter "uses large filter pads" it doesnt seem that easy when it comes to the aquaclear type filters(i would ratther have those actually) can someone help me find the media for both filters to use? the point was to make it easier to not have to buy two different ttypes of media. thank you.

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The sponge labeled for a 70 fits an aquaclear 70. Some with the bio rings. The sponge for a 50 is labeled 50. And so on. Each one has a specific size unlike the cartridge that are just small and large and as size of the filter gets bigger they just use more.

3. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

that sounds like a lot of extra buying. small medium large seems simpler unfortutnately i like thte aquaclear type better, but i learned thtat too latte

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The sponge is different sized for each filter. As far as extra buying the sponge lasts for years. In 18 years I think I replaced mine in my 110 3 times. And that's just because I take some of it to start new tanks. The bio rings last almost forever.

5. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

ill let her know. thanks david (i still wish i went aquaclear instead of aqueon) T_T

6. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Nickguy, I think you are over complicating the issue.

Like David said, Aquaclears do not use media that had to be replaced.

Sponge cleaning = swish it around and squeeze out in a bucket of tank water

Bio-Max cleaning = swish around in a bucket of water

Filter is now clean.....

Once you buy an Aquaclear, it comes with everything you need.

The carbon bag is not reusable and usually discarded after a month. Most people dont use the carbon though.

I would add a 2nd sponge in place of the carbon.

3-packs of replacement sponges are $3-$5 online for these filters.

7. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

i was trying to tweak out my aqueons by adding biomax to it but i dont think i did it right by just dropping rocks in thtere because it made it impossible to put cartridges back in. and im not sure how to get whatever to fit in there after watching youtube videos. im not very good at replicating other ideas T_T,

so basicly you're saying that the aqueons are cash cows for the company? :p so basically you're saying i can just forget the cartridges and put two sponges?, that sounds easy. if i needed carbon i could just get the specialty pad carbons if i ever needed it
    but as far as i know carbon is for blocking ammonia but my BB should be eating that anyway. i like thtis idea

8. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

My post referred to Aquaclear brand of filters.

I was not advising about the Aqueon brand.

But if you want to omit the cartridge in your Aqueon and replace it with a block of sponge, then yes that will work great.

9. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

10. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

oh. well that's good to know. thanks again

i understood you =) it just sounded like something i can do. well i will have to try that then. thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2019