Buying discus - in Europe... Help

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Siggi, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Hello, fishfolks.
    After some time running my community tank (300L/80G), an opportunity has come by me, but I want your opinion.
    As a child, I remember watching discus in my grandmothers aquarium. After managing my own waters, I began gathering information on fishkeeping and respectfully stayed away from harder species (no need to have the fish to watch them die, right?) If I ever got a new fish, LFS normally receives any I regret to buy... Someday, I'd like to have some discus to my main tank but have been reluctant to get them because the tank wasn't stable yet and because prices are high on discus. Getting some from the US would be nice and comparably cheaper, but I'm afraid they won't make the trip, with probable delays in customs...
    I'm registered on a local site for buying and selling stuff - everything from cars and bikes to fishfood and screwdrivers...
    Now, this site has a seller offering 4 discus around an inch in size (says 2,5cm...) - is that size advisable for aquisition? Normally they are sold, larger. Right? Is this a good size for them to get used to a new environment?
    The site is portuguese, called  , the sale reference is 208256832 and the seller's name is nariobos - I think you should be able to find the pics with these references. Apparently it is the sellers' own production, or excess, that's being sold. It says mother is orange, father turquoise.
    Bottom line: should I stay away from this deal or should I try?

Thanks on forehand for your time.

2. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Siggi, i would say first more research is owed to this.
    something to look for
    1. where did the parents come from ( you want to make sure you are purchasing good, healthy stock.
    2. when they say one is orange and one is turquise what does that mean? this throws up a red flag for me right away.
    a reputable breeder would not list it this way at all, he/she would give you a specific name ( like a Red Turq or a Marlboro Red)
    a big reason to know this is you want to want to know if they are both non-pigeon based or one of each of both pigeon based.
    the discription you have above can very easily be a non-based and a pigeon based which will reproduce not so good fry.
    3. 1 inch is still considered Fry and even the best importers and breeders will not sell until 2 inches in size ( although many do sell a batch of fry too.
    4. 1 inch - 4inch require a lot of attention and water changes and prestine water conditions. Fry and Juvies are much easier on the pocket book but are a lot more work.
    just something to consider.

3. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Thank you very, VERY mutch!!

Do you think buying from the US would be a viable option?
    Pros:
    More buyers with experience to know the sellers
    Better stock at hand
    Cheaper prices
    Cons:
    Tranport too lengthy may kill the fish
    Weather too cold may also be bad.
    Customs (more money and/or more time)......

What do you think?

4. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Well, that may work but i would think it could get expensive.
    but if you decided to do that one of my recommendations in the US would be Discus Hans. this guy is top knotch and actually is the only importer in the US
    of Stendker Discus from Germany. i would say it would be cheaper to check them out.
    here is their link  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice