Buying cichlids!

bciver

I got into contact with someone from Tampa Bay Cichlids. I live in Minnesota, and it is starting to get pretty cold here. He said that it would still be okay to ship them here.

I am going for an all male tank. Peacocks/Haps
Some fish I want are
1. Red fin borleyi
2. Taiwan Reef
3. Red empress
4. Lethrinops Red cap
5. Flavescent Peacock
6. Ruby Red Peacock
7. Midnight Peacock
8. Bicolor Peacock

I would buy all of them as 2” guaranteed males.
I would put them in a 29G for a few weeks just to grow them out a little bit before putting them in the 75G with the rest of the peacocks.
I currently have 16 cichlids in my 75G. 9 of them being mbuna. I am eventually going to re home every single one of my mbuna so it’s just peacocks and haps.

Any tips on stocking would be greatly appreciated.
I have never ordered fish online before either.

A201

Before you stock the new arrivals into the main tank, completely change up the hardscape. Introduce all the new guys at the same time.
The established tankmates will likely dish out the obligatory cichlid slap down to the newbies. If they survive the two or three day onslaught, you got it made.
I've never ordered on line, but QT in the 29 gal is a good idea.
No plop & drop acclimation. Make sure to match up temps & carefully mix your tap with the transport bag water.
I like your roster of fish.

Upvote 0

bciver

Before you stock the new arrivals into the main tank, completely change up the hardscape. Introduce all the new guys at the same time.
The established tankmates will likely dish out the obligatory cichlid slap down to the newbies. If they survive the two or three day onslaught, you got it made.
No plop & drop acclimation. Make sure to match up temps & carefully mix your tap with the transport bag water.
Will I pour some of my tanks water Into the transport bags? I will probably watch many YouTube videos on how people do it. My peacocks are very mellow, so I don’t think that should be a problem, especially with the mbuna gone

Upvote 0

A201

Mix in your tank water w/ the transport bag water.
Don't be surprised if the established mellow Peacocks suddenly become a little territorial & chase the new guys around for a few days.

Upvote 0

bciver

Mix in your tank water w/ the transport bag water.
Don't be surprised if the established mellow Peacocks suddenly become a little territorial & chase the new guys around for a few days.
They are used to me changing up the scape a lot. I do it once a week with the water changes. I will probably order Tuesday or Wednesday. Will keep u updated and show pics.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Make sure to match up temps & carefully mix your tap with the transport bag water.
Agree,
Acclimation is fairly straight forward. Just check with the shipper on their pH.
I let the bags float in the tank, about 1/2 hour to match the tank temp. with the lights off. Then open and add about 1/4 cup of tank water into the bag, repeat every 20 mins until I have doubled the quantity of water that was in the bag. Then pour into net then place in tank, leaving the lights off. Which is tough to do since we want to see our new acquisitions, but better for the fish.
*I have heard some people add a drop of or two of water conditioner due to the ammonia build-up during transport.
Different strokes for different folks.
Good Luck!

Upvote 0

bciver

Just bought 5 peacocks/haps
I was going to do 1.25 to 2 inch “guaranteed” males. Instead, I got 2-3” guaranteed males. Figured it would help me on the long run as it’s a lot more likely that I get all males.
1. VC-10 placidochromis milomo , I did lots of research and I figured if I am going to get a showcase fish this is as good as it’s going to get.
2. Red empress
3. Maleri Island peacock
4. Red shoulder peacock
5. Red fin borleyi

All of the “yellow” peacocks that I wanted were sold out so I settled with these.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SinisterCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
LadfromLondon
Replies
Views