Buying Bacteria

Cander
I’ve a new 30 gallon tank with 2 mollies currently in it. I’m worried a bit about ammonia and was wondering if anyone can give me advice about buying bacteria from API or Terta. I’m also planning on buying a testing kit

Onlyashes
rrbauer96
Yeah tetra safe start seemed to help out cycling a lot.

Cander
I used the safe start you can also use seachem stability and prime which will make the ammonia none toxic then add the bacteria

Ok so I’ve to add the safe start then add the bacteria.

This is safe for the fish I assume.

rrbauer96
Ok so I’ve to add the safe start then add the bacteria.

This is safe for the fish I assume.
Actually I think the Tetra safe start IS the bacteria. Maybe I'm not fully informed but that's what I understand from it.

aquatickeeper
I wouldn't buy the API one. I would buy the Tetra one. I, also others, had great success with it.

If you decide to use Tetra Safe Start, I would do a big water change (50%). Then dose the WHOLE bottle of Tetra Safe Start (I would use TSS+). If you dosed any products that detoxifies ammonia, then you will have to wait for at least 24 hours after you dosed that before you can dose Tetra Safe Start. After you dose the TSS, wait for 2 weeks. Don't do any water changes, and don't test the water (they will show crazy results, which will make you think that TSS isn't working) during this time period. After two weeks have passed, test the water. You should have 0 ppm ammonia (if you have like 0.25-0.5 ppm, then that's fine), 0 ppm nitrite, and some nitrates. If your nitrates are more than 20 ppm, do a water change to get it down to 0-20 ppm. If your tap water has lots of nitrates, you could use Pothos. There are also other products out there that also reduces nitrates.

For the test kit, I wouldn't get test strips. Those are unreliable. Instead, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit would be a better option. If you want to test hardness, get the API GH and KH Test Kit.

Tetra Safe Start is the bacteria, FYI.

ystrout
Fish-in cycles are easy and safe with Seachem Prime and Stability.

The Prime detoxifies the ammonia and nitrite, but it stays in the tank so you can still build your biological filter (beneficial bacteria that lives in the filter sponge). Seachem Stability is live bacteria like Tetra Safe Start, but it works with Prime.

Follow the instructions on the bottle for the Stability. Dose the tank with Prime every 24-36 hours to keep the compounds detoxified and your fish safe.

Cander
Ok thx you both I’ll be going to the store tomorrow and which ever of the 2 that They have I’ll get.

I wouldn't buy the API one. I would buy the Tetra one. I, also others, had great success with it.

If you decide to use Tetra Safe Start, I would do a big water change (50%). Then dose the WHOLE bottle of Tetra Safe Start (I would use TSS+). If you dosed any products that detoxifies ammonia, then you will have to wait for at least 24 hours after you dosed that before you can dose Tetra Safe Start. After you dose the TSS, wait for 2 weeks. Don't do any water changes, and don't test the water (they will show crazy results, which will make you think that TSS isn't working) during this time period. After two weeks have passed, test the water. You should have 0 ppm ammonia (if you have like 0.25-0.5 ppm, then that's fine), 0 ppm nitrite, and some nitrates. If your nitrates are more than 20 ppm, do a water change to get it down to 0-20 ppm. If your tap water has lots of nitrates, you could use Pothos. There are also other products out there that also reduces nitrates.

For the test kit, I wouldn't get test strips. Those are unreliable. Instead, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit would be a better option. If you want to test hardness, get the API GH and KH Test Kit.

If I add prime before using terta safe start do I’ve to wait 24 hours

jdhef
Yes, you must wait 24 hours after using Prime to add TSS

Hego_Damask
Tetra Safe Start

DaveyboyManc

What do you mean by "if you have like 0.25 0.5 then that's fine" ?

Only asking because I'm in day 12 of my TSS cycle, and yesterday my ammonia was 0, but today its reading 0.25 again - & I thought I was cycled until today. My nitrites are 0 & nitrates 20-40.

Wraithen
Some peoples water will test at .25 ppm indefinitely. It's usually nothing to worry about. My tank took a few months to mature to where it would take care of that last bit for some reason. Source water can also play a factor.

I would be concerned with .50 though. If you don't have a completed cycle after the first attempt I put in a 2nd bottle. You could just wait it out though.

Cander
Some peoples water will test at .25 ppm indefinitely. It's usually nothing to worry about. My tank took a few months to mature to where it would take care of that last bit for some reason. Source water can also play a factor.

I would be concerned with .50 though. If you don't have a completed cycle after the first attempt I put in a 2nd bottle. You could just wait it out though.

If it gets that high can you just do a water change

Wraithen
You absolutely can but I would only do that if I had fish in. Otherwise it's best just to be patient and continue the cycling until you can go from 2 to 0 in a 24 hour period. (Depending on stocking of course.)

Cander
You absolutely can but I would only do that if I had fish in. Otherwise it's best just to be patient and continue the cycling until you can go from 2 to 0 in a 24 hour period. (Depending on stocking of course.)

I do have have fish. I’ve two mollies in it currently.

DaveyboyManc

Nothing to worry about as in, not harmful? Or not evidence of an unfinished cycle?

Sorry, I'm confused. I'm not cycled unless its 0, right?

Wraithen
Correct. Depending on a lot of variables, some people will cycle through their ammonia in 24 hours day after day and still show .25

Those people are cycled, but the filter seems to refuse to take that last .25

Cander

I know it’s been awhile since you have posted this but how much should I feed my fish during this.

Wraithen
If it's still just the two mollies I'd give them two of their eyeballs size worth of food every other day. It sounds like you're starving them but you definitely arent.

Cander
Ok I’ll do that thanks for the help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TWiG87
  • Question
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
Replies
Views