Buying Aquarium Equipment To Be Reused On Future Tanks

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Stephanie2015, Jul 21, 2015.

1. S

Stephanie2015 Valued Member Member

I was wondering can I get equipment for my 40g that I can use on a bigger tank later on? I have been thinking on getting canister and the aquaclear 70 hub and upgrading my standard light for something better for a good planted aquarium (maybe led). If so, please let me know what I should get for filtration and lighting. Also, would my aquaon 50g filter be ok to use on my 10g quarantine tank? Thank you for any feedback. =]

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Equipment

Yes to both questions. Although the flow of the Aqueon 50g may be too strong for a 10 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    S

What size canister and aquaclear hob should I get now to use on a bigger tank later? Ok, bout the aquaon filter lol I figured it be, but was hoping it would be useful for it. Filter that came with the 10g is very very basic. Could just a sponge filter in a quartine tank that us cycling?

4. OP
    OP
    S

Ugh *throws cell in time-out for changing words* ~.~

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes a sponge filter could work in a 10 gallon. What canister or hob you get really depends on what tank size you are thinking about getting in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you Dom. Lol yay more research xD! I think I am 200g tank girl with only able to do 40g lol... for now! =D

7. OP
    OP
    S

Really love the idea of aquascaping an awesome tank that is beneficial to the fish I would have. Trying my hand at live plants now, but just low light beginners till I get a better light for mediums.

8. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

The water flows can be adjusted on Aquaclears & most canisters, so they are a bit flexible. A lot of us will keep a smaller filter on hand and just stuff it with some sponges/bio media from the show tanks filters, for a " instant " cycled filter, that way you don't need to keep the quarantine take set up all of the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice